Skutt km 1227 glow test

MollyKS

I bought a Skutt Km 1227 off of a friend. It’s in great condition but I did a glow test this morning and only the top two and bottom two elements were glowing by the time it got up to 500. 
I opened up the electrical panel and everything seems to be connected fine and looks to be in good condition. 
Has anyone run into this before or know what the problem could be? 

You will need to test the elements using an ohm meter, record the resistance to compare with new, and confirm the center element  is open or has a break in it if you will.

from there:

• Replace all if the center is open (broken) - they generally wear together
  • Replace all  if they have grown to 10% more resistance than new (they are worn anyway)
  • Check each section relay operation and replace any that are not working.

If the elements all have the appropriate continuity, then likely a relay or bad connection. Bad connections usually can be visually identified. 

There are several element and relay videos on YouTube that can help

As always use appropriate caution if you are working around live electrical circuits.

4 hours ago, MollyKS said:

top two and bottom two elements were glowing by the time it got up to 500. 

The top and bottom elements run hotter than the middle four, so you'll need to let it run longer before you see the others glow. Like Bill said, ultimately you'll want to check the resistance of the elements with a meter, as they can glow but still be worn enough that you're firing inefficiently.

Archived