Wire end broken

FloCat

The end of the connector that goes from my wheel motor to my control box has separated from the wire cover. It appears that the wires inside are in tact, there's a white one and a black one.  But I see beige-brown, that looks separated from the plug. I'm wondering is it insulation or filler of some type? Forgive my ignorance. I was hoping to find a machine shop that could help me, but no one wants to help with a potter's wheel, even though it's related to a  simple motor. 

If this is just insulation that appears to be disconnected, then I will get heat shrink tubing to seal it the whole area.  Does anyone foresee any problems with that idea? 

Thank you so much. Again, forgive my ignorance.

vlcsnap-2022-03-10-18h53m10s921_LI.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-03-10-18h53m01s803_LI.jpg

Hey FloCat...that IS filler that you are looking at. The ideal situation would be for you to unplug the wheel, open the control box that the cord goes into and check to see how the black cord is bound into the grommet.  Then disconnect the two wires inside the box, pull the cord free from the grommet, clean the old outer casing from inside the grommet and then pull the cord back into the grommet and reconnect the two wires. You may have to shorten the wires, but if you don't have that capability, you can tie a knot in the wires just inside the box which will have the same effect. Hope this helps...

The end piece is probably functioning as a cord grip and water proofing. The heat shrink tubing should take care of the water issue fairly well, but will not work as a cord grip. The grip is a safety issue, as it keeps the wires from being pulled out of the box. Like Johnny said, see if you can tie a knot inside the box to keep the wires from pulling out.

I'm sorry,  maybe I didn't explain well, because it sounds like you are saying I should be doing something with my control box, but that's not where the problem is. My bad ... I cropped the picture too tight. This piece is the end that has a connector that goes into the control box. (I'm attaching another distant image, so you get a better picture of the whole situation.)

So, since it's filler and the wires seem in good shape, some good marine quality shrink tubing should do the trick, might that be right?

BTW - I really appreciate how people here are so good about answering, especially for those of us who are not mechanically inclined. I'm a wee bit nervous about anything electric, cuz my husband and I had an attic fire caused by someone hitting our utility pole that pulled the connection to our house out just enough to cause arcing ... then smoke ... then fire. I saw the whole horrifying thing, so I'm super nervous about anything electrical. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Flo

wheel-wire.jpg

Ideally you should replace the cord. If it was a regular household plug you could replace the plug itself with a repair plug that securely attaches to the cord, but that's probably not an option here since that's a unique plug. I don't think heat shrink tubing would provide enough strain relief to a joint like that. It needs to be strong enough that the wires cannot pull out of the plug end itself if the cord gets tugged on.

Since its a molded plug and really should not be taken apart very often If ever I would water proof the wire (you can use rescue silicone tape that bonds to itself or a well wire repair kit or a globe of silicone  or shrink tube (but its to large to go over ends of cord I feel) so shrink tube is out. After that repair  sets I have had great luck with epoxy to handle the strain relief . Use plenty like JB weld  fast set and build it up over a long area so cord cannot bend that that weak spot and cover all the tape. mold it with disposable  glove on to cover the whole cord all the way around and thick enough not to flex. Looks like pacifica wheel? leave it plugged in after that and unplug only when you have to (not sure when that would ever be?)

I think I would put some decent quality silicone or rtv on the end of the cord, push it back in about 1/2” and let that cure overnight keeping it embedded. Once embedded and cured neatly wrap with self fusing tape extended 3 inches or so down the cord. The fusing tape is relatively soft rubber so maybe cover it with some good quality electrical tape. I think that repair would last for many years.

This does concern me though as if this is a power cord I cannot see a ground which means gfi protection is not possible. I hope that is not true and it’s just the picture. I would also caution against filling the hole with silicone or RTV. Some of it is conductive till cured so a nice even coating on the cord, just enough to hold it back into place when reinserted and seal around the joint between the cord sheath and molded plug.

Mark C.

5 hours ago, Mark C. said:

(you can use rescue silicone tape that bonds to itself or a well wire repair kit or a globe of silicone  or shrink tube (but its to large to go over ends of cord I feel) so shrink tube is out. After that repair  sets I have had great luck with epoxy to handle the strain relief . Use plenty like JB weld  fast set and build it up over a long area so cord cannot bend that that weak spot and cover all the tape. mold it with disposable  glove on to cover the whole cord all the way around and thick enough not to flex.  Looks like pacifica wheel? leave it plugged in after that and unplug only when you have to (not sure when that would ever be?)

This looks like a good solution. 
The wheel is a Laguna. I had to get the pedal fixed, and Laguna provided me with a different control box, but the screw hole on the bracket did not correspond to the one on the frame, so the control box did get more shuffling around than it should have. I am making a means to attach it properly to the frame, so it should not be getting moved around as much at all.
It has been detached at least twice since I purchased it, once because of the fire, I had to rescue it from the water damaged wreckage. And the second time, when we moved last year, had to pack up the control box and secure the wires to the frame.  Hopefully, we won't move that many more times and not have any more disasters to rescue it from.

54 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

this is a power cord I cannot see a ground which means gfi protection is not possible. I hope that is not true and it’s just the picture. I would also caution against filling the hole with silicone or RTV. Some of it is conductive till cured so a nice even coating on the cord

The other cord that goes into the electric outlet is grounded. Does this cord that goes from the motor to the control box also have to be grounded? I do not know how that is supposed to look if it is.  I wasn't going to fill the hole, I would do my best to try to get sheath snugged up to the molded plug, where it belongs, not leaving any gaps, before applying anything.

The shrink tubing that I found has a 1" diameter, I feel like that should be sufficient to cover everything after I've applied all your suggested treatments. I like the idea of sealing everything in with the tubing, just in case there might be small gaps where moisture could seep in.

Thank you.

Rescue tape bond to itself and over a short time is one unit (not a separate layer but one complete unit(

https://www.rescuetape.com

Its a bit harder to work with than regular tape

I agree to get the jacket snuged up 1st and maybe some recuse tape cut in 1/2 wrapped tight-let sit a few days then epoxy.That will be a fine repair

If Laguna still sell these cords just get a new one as time goes by that will become impossible

1 hour ago, Rockhopper said:

- but It's possible there is additional damage you can't see, inside the plug.  The safest long-term fix is a new cord.

30 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

If Laguna still sell these cords just get a new one as time goes by that will become impossible

I understand your concern. I prefer doing a band-aid right now, because honestly I've been away from my wheel for over a year and before that, it was on and off for decades due to family, elderly parent and health issues. I just want to do my pottery!!! (you know how it is being addicted to mud! :-) )

I do like the idea of getting a new cord from Laguna in case this one does poop out on me. Or until I find someone who will be wiling to change the cord, because I don't feel confident doing it myself. 

Thank you so much

Archived