Suggestions on making pool deck tile? (Formerly Ms)

Ret

Hello everyone!

I am returning to ceramics after one college course many moons ago. I am wondering, would making nonslip ceramic tiles for pool decking be possible? I understand it would be tedious, but would it be possible? And what clay body would lend itself to this? Matte glaze for grip, lots of grog in the body? So many questions!! Thanks so much!!

I think the word for it would be slip resistant: A rough texture or stamped pattern is common, somewhat grooved so water cannot puddle on the top surface of a tile and will drain to the grout joints and away as the entire surface should sheet drain away so no top surface water and no puddles. A matte or satin glaze likely helps, at least with sun reflection for sure.

• Callie Beller Diesel changed the title to Suggestions on making pool deck tile? (Formerly Ms)

Just about anything   is possible, but there is no way I would ever take on that project.   Might  think about  deco tiles in the water line  or perhaps set in the plaster on the bottom/sides.  Most outdoor deck tiles are porcelain and  vitreous so they  don't absorb water and have issues with freeze/thaw cracking in addition to the non-slip surface.  To me  the cost of firing the number of tiles for a pool deck, not even including your labor would be more than purchasing  them.  They have it down to a science cranking them out flat and square (typically).

Porcelain tiles unless you never get close to 32F.   Then anything would work, even adobe pavers.

I wouldn't even think about taking on that project. Tile production is an entirely different process than making pots or making a couple of decorative tiles in a pottery class. To do it efficiently takes a certain amount of specialized equipment for the both the making and the firing. Just buy some and you'll be much happier.

I made tiles for my shower walls and bath suround in the 80s-killer job-threw my back out with all the weight.I did them in cone 10 reduction with a slab roller .

that job was small potatoes to pool decking tiles.

I even have a 30 inch electric Bailey slab roller with a tile cutter and I would not even imagine doing this.

Go to a big town with a bunch of tile stores and see whats there.

Commecial tiles are reasonable priced and so much easier and cost less than you can make them.

I would forget about this and work on other projects

Archived