Glaze crystallization

Nicky S

Hi …. Am just wondering what could have happened here ?  The glaze has been sitting since 2018  I stirred about a week ago ( did not notice stones ) But today went to use and found these hard crystals floating on the surface The second pic is the texture of the glaze unsieved  …. The lumps are not hard I imagine even if I sieved added Epsom salts  will not be worth the risk (?)
**Ps …..If I just glaze the inside of small earthenware bottles and half the outside Will they still be food safe and fully functional for storing oil ?
Thank you Nicky 

EBA2B9E9-F822-4648-9680-9FFAC60F8E1F.jpeg.ccd3058c7bbd957ab4ceb3ca1c72458e.jpeg

Soluble materials can precipitate out of the slurry over time. Try running the glaze through a sieve then take the crystals and put them with a small amount of water in the microwave until the water gets hot and give the mixture a good stir. If the crystals dissolve stir the solution back into the glaze slurry. If the lumps are not hard and don't dissolve in the hot water I would then try putting the solution into a blender for a few minutes then try sieving again. Don't add too much water or you will have to let it evaporate off so you don't water it down too much.

13 hours ago, Min said:

Soluble materials can precipitate out of the slurry over time. Try running the glaze through a sieve then take the crystals and put them with a small amount of water in the microwave until the water gets hot and give the mixture a good stir. If the crystals dissolve stir the solution back into the glaze slurry. If the lumps are not hard and don't dissolve in the hot water I would then try putting the solution into a blender for a few minutes then try sieving again. Don't add too much water or you will have to let it evaporate off so you don't water it down too much.

Thank you @Min will give it a try 

I wonder what would happen if the crystals in each of the cases mentioned in the article were crushed and ground with a mortar and pestle and sieved and then re-introduced back into the original glaze? Also, what would happen if the glazes were kept from freezing? Hmmm

On 12/9/2021 at 8:23 AM, Nicky S said:

**Ps …..If I just glaze the inside of small earthenware bottles and half the outside Will they still be food safe and fully functional for storing oil ?
Thank you Nicky 

If your clay and glaze match and your bottles are vitrified, you should be able to store oil, BUT if you get oil on the unglazed portion of the bottle, there will probably be some absorption.

Archived