Kiln elements (total rookie)

Hi!

I have a (pretty old) second hand kiln that I tried to heat up today - just to test if the elements work - and, surprise surprise, absolutely nothing happened. 

As I say, the kiln seems pretty old and I expected it to struggle a little bit but to not even try to heat up... :huh:

Does that mean there's probably a different issue other than the elements just being old and a bit worn out? Would even old elements do something?

Any suggestions on where I could start with the troubleshooting?

Thank you!

Definitely depends on your level of troubleshooting experience. Yes, old elements would still work if not physically burned open. Normal method would be to check everything in the sequence that the power comes in. So circuit breaker, receptacle, plug, cord then sitter and so on to find out where the power is interrupted. If it’s a sitter kiln, and it’s been stored  for some time, critters may have made a home in the sitter preventing it from actually turning on when pushed. A close visual examination will often reveal the former residents. Nothing wrong with visually looking at everything and cycling it a few times in absence of using a meter to detect power. Electrical safety, always a priority though! Unplug from the power source, use proper caution!

does your kiln have a sitter on the side?    did you use it to turn on your kiln?  did you actually push the button in after loading a cone on the arms?    a photo of the kiln could help as well as any othr info you can provide.   unfortunately, kilns do not have a simple  "on/off" switch.

Archived