Are cheap Wheels worth buying?

KilnCat

I was curious if cheap potters wheels were worth it? I'm mainly referring to the table top ones you can get new for around $150. I'm interested in trying a wheel, but suspect it won't be my main focus, so I'm hesitant about spending hundreds, but are the little cheap ones just an annoying waste of time and money? I'm rather lazy and was hoping not to have to hunt around for a local used wheel (I would know what to look for to begin with). So I was just curious. (I promise not to blame anyones advice if I go ahead and buy something that's essentially garbage).

images-4.jpg

I personally think they are not worth it. When you think about learning a reasonably difficult dexterous skill on a product that is likely inferior, it often adds to more frustration than learning. I am inclined to say just take a semester course and see if you like wheel throwing, on a decent wheel. If so, continue to improve your skills and use the decent wheel to learn and improve  Just my opinion though, I am not a fan of the knock off wheels for any use.

Many people buy these and find they break right away and the 150$ spent is down the drain

As you said (essentially garbage) and I might add these does not discribe them well enough they are worse than that.

You can buy a quailty wheel and if you find later clay and yoj are a poor match sell it for nearly what you paid

Those cheap wheels that are available on Amazon and eBay are junk. We've had a couple of people come to the forum with them because they broke almost immediately. One person was kind enough to upload pictures of the inside of the wheel, and we were shocked at how poorly it was made. Save up for a good wheel. Any of the common US brands will work well- Brent, Skutt, Bailey, Pacifica, Speedball, etc.

If you’re looking for an electric banding wheel, just spend a few extra bucks on the really good Shimpo one that spins forever. If you want just a low powered wheel to make a few cups on, something like an Aspire would be a better choice than those cheap ones on Amazon. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen people post in FB groups about how happy they were with their brand new cheap wheel, and a month later come asking why the foot pedal won’t turn off, or where they can get a replacement motor, or how they can rewire them, etc etc.

• 6 months later...

I'm a professional production potter. I bought a cheap eBay wheel probably 4-5 years ago, to use as an extra at home on occasion (my studio is not at my house). I have made enough pots on it to pay for itself many times. It's quite smooth and quiet, though not very powerful and slows down with pressure. I know full well that it will stop working someday, and I won't be able to get parts for it. And had I spent more on something of higher quality it would have retained it's resale value fairly well. So that would have been more forward-thinking, but at the time I didn't have that extra $ to spend. They're not evil or anything, and NOTHING in life is guaranteed.

11 hours ago, happy_pots said:

I'm a professional production potter. I bought a cheap eBay wheel probably 4-5 years ago, to use as an extra at home on occasion (my studio is not at my house). I have made enough pots on it to pay for itself many times. It's quite smooth and quiet, though not very powerful and slows down with pressure. I know full well that it will stop working someday, and I won't be able to get parts for it. And had I spent more on something of higher quality it would have retained it's resale value fairly well. So that would have been more forward-thinking, but at the time I didn't have that extra $ to spend. They're not evil or anything, and NOTHING in life is guaranteed.

welcome to the forum 

Land fill sooner that later

The one thing that is guaranteed is death

11 hours ago, happy_pots said:

Can you post which brand/model you bought? There are a lot of different cheap ones out there, with varying methods of construction.

Can't find the receipt and it's not marked with a brand, but here she is. I built a little table under it, and cut the splash-pan in 2 for removal (fill the cracks with clay when in use). I was curious enough to buy it, and it's worked out okay for me. Function is smooth, and speed fast enough that it is more enjoyable to use than a very old Oscar Paul wheel I had (although that beast will outlive us all). I think it totaled about $400 CAD in the end (everything is more expensive here), and if I had known then what I know now, I would have spent more money on a better wheel. But, for occasional use it has served its purpose. I've even seen photos from someone using several wheels like this for their lessons.

To be clear, I would encourage anyone serious about pottery to buy the best wheel that you can, without going in credit card debt. That amount is just different for everyone. 

IMG_20220503_120808.jpg.36c0f9b54600ffb172a13516b463cd22.jpg

Archived