Glazing Inside and Out at Same Time

I am glazing some thin, light tumblers.  When I glaze the interior (by pouring), the moisture from the glaze seeps thru and darkens the exterior in the "thinnest" places.  Should I:

1. go ahead and glaze the exterior right away so that the piece will be uniformly damp and not crack  (but may not take up exterior glaze very well), or

2. wait until the interior glaze has dried so that it will absorb well on the exterior?

I start with liner glaze, and wait on full dry afore the next step, and full dry between the subsequent steps as well.  When I'm rocking it, there are ware boards out on the driveway, in full sun; wax that has been warmed by said sun is allowed to cool a bit when brought inside, however, for warm wax is sticky.

I like getting a start on some liners the day afore, so there's a batch out ahead a step the next day, hence I've no slack/gap time (get to work!).

:|

2# wait until the interior glaze has dried so that it will absorb well on the exterior?

por the inside then wait until dry-depends on climate how long this takes

you want the pot to absorb evenly so drying is the only way to get this done

often I glaze the insides the day before or at least many hours before the outsides

+1 for leaving the liner glaze dry before glazing the outside. Most of the time I have a different glaze inside my mugs than the outside one. I pour and dump the liner glaze then for the ones where I want a clean line, or where the two glazes can crawl if double dipped, I use a water based wax resist over the glaze. When that has set up I wipe the excess glaze above the wax. I try and do this at the end of day one. I leave the mugs dry overnight then glaze the outside on day two.

Even for the mugs/tumblers that don't need the wax resist line I leave the liner glaze dry overnight, I find that with my glazes it makes for a more even glaze laydown of the exterior glaze. Other thing that can happen is as the moisture from the exterior glaze gets soaked into the bisque it can re-wet the liner glaze. This is fine if the liner glaze is dry but if it's still damp it can loosen the bond of the liner, for thicker walled pieces this isn't usually an issue but for thin walled pieces it can be. Leaving the glaze dry overnight helps prevents this happening too.

We glazed  a  about 150-200 mugs today in 4 sizes . Used the glaze jet for liners (sprays glaze straight up from 5 gallon bucket )and let dry for a spell then did exteriors-same day-then loaded the kilns with them today

You can make that glaze jet yourself for about $30 if you are handy-you need to thread some stainless rod (dies)and cut and glue PVC and boldt or rivet rubber.

its on page 55 here in the 2008 issue

https://studiopotter.org/digital-issue/116

Archived