Two Minute Pie Plate.

I must apologize for the sound, we're shooting these on a point and shoot camera. I will try to dub over with some play-by-play when I can. I made a few of these yesterday but as I was going back to my studio I tripped and fell down the stairs onto some jagged flint rocks that make up much of my back yard. I gouged a chunk of hide out of my knee and banged myself up pretty good, so I've been laying low today and just got around to putting the pie plate video up. I have a couple more videos, including trimming the mugs, and making a utensile holder. And, when I get to feeling a bit better I'll trim some bowls I made yesterday.

Thank you Lily. I trim and burnish the bottoms. The burnishing gives them a finish that makes them nice to the hands when a customer picks one up. I always keep in mind what a master potter told me when I was just starting out, "Momma checkbook likes a smooth bottom."

Thank you Lily. I trim and burnish the bottoms. The burnishing gives them a finish that makes them nice to the hands when a customer picks one up. I always keep in mind what a master potter told me when I was just starting out, "Momma checkbook likes a smooth bottom."

Lol, good quote. I will remember that and use it. The sum of the details make something

professional and exquisite.

It looks like you need quite a bit of strength to push that shape around so quickly. My

carpal tunnel twinged just watching you grab and squeeze it :-). I love watching

people throw. Thanks for the video.

-Lily

Those are great! I can't imagine how many I would have to do before I could finish them as quickly as you, but I am looking forward to finding out. Sorry to hear about your accident, and I hope you are good as new in no time.

So... I'm NOT a fast production potter. But I love throwing pie plates. I add a small bowl, and sell them as a pie/chip/dip plate. My biggest selling item.

I buy all of my supplies from Brackers, and when they had their 30th anniversary, they convinced me to throw and they taped. unsure.gif (if I'd had time to think it over, I might have chickened out!)

Obviously, the clip has been edited to just a little over a minute...... a pie plate takes me about 5 or 6 minutes, maybe a little more. I average 6 or 7 pie plates and chip bowls in an hour. I throw almost exclusively on the hydro bat... I do trim on the bottom. I'm addicted to the MKM rollers and stamps!

Darla

Darla, nice work. I'm going to get one of those rollers. I've never used a Hydro-bat, why do you like them so much.

Atanzey, nice pie plate. If you're interested, here's a little tip about fluting pie plates: Always leave about a quarter inch gap between your thumb-presses. This will allow the thing to even up around and create a kind of optical illusion that increases the balance of the fluting.

Darla, nice work. I'm going to get one of those rollers. I've never used a Hydro-bat, why do you like them so much.

Atanzey, nice pie plate. If you're interested, here's a little tip about fluting pie plates: Always leave about a quarter inch gap between your thumb-presses. This will allow the thing to even up around and create a kind of optical illusion that increases the balance of the fluting.

Atanzey: love your pie plate...

Yedrow: I first adopted hydro bats as a defense to ruined pieces. I was just barely past learning to center, and I'd throw something halfway ok, and I'd ruin it by either cutting off too soon, or cutting the too thin bottom in pieces or something else just because I was too much of a newbie and not very good! With a hydro bat, the piece pops off the bat when it's ready... The piece and the hydro bat tell you when it's ready to be dealt with. I asked for hydro bats for my birthday, hydro bats for my christmas, hydro bats for any present. After a few years.....laugh.gif I was good! Now that I'm a little bit better, I throw small / cylinder type pieces on plastic bats, but everything else is on a hydro bat. (I believe the hydro bats also help with warping and 's' cracks.)

And the MKM Rollers? mmmmmm I love the really little ones, I love the medium sized ones, and I love the large ones too. Love the MKM stamps too.

Ha! I sound like a commercial.

Yedrow - thanks for the tip on the fluting. When I got to that part, I couldn't remember just how you'd done it, so I just gave it a shot. I think they may have ended up a bit thin too, and may be fragile, but I'll find out in a few weeks when I actually go to use it (assuming it survives trimming tonight). I watched the video again after I was done, and I have your method a little more in my memory. Will probably try another tonight!

Alice

Darla - thanks for asking - made me laugh! The first of the evening ended up in the recycle bin. The second was passable, and is drying on the bat, but this one is a bit small. Obviously no consistency on size yet. The one from the photo survived trimming and is now drying. We'll see if it cracks! As much as I worked the bottom trying to get it thinned out, it should be compressed, but I'll believe it when I see it dry without a crack.

Next thing, I'll be needing to make pies a whole lot more often than I do. But I probably have a couple of daughters who'd love to claim one. Or two. SoI can keep working it out.

Alice

My mom is the pie baker in our family.... and she doesn't care for it, when I get a pie plate too thin. She says that the crust comes out better when the pie plates are a little on the thicker side. And, since you pick a pie plate up by the edges.....

Course, it's a fine line between too thick and too thin..... biggrin.gif

Val, I use 3.5 pounds in those pie plates. I've actually switched to using 3 pounds this last week though. I've been having a tendency to make my pie plates too big and dropping the weight helps keep them in the range of store-bought pie crusts.

Archived