New tilt

Blueraven60

I just got a new wheel after too many years without one. The trouble is, there seems to be a wobble in the turntable. It’s almost imperceptible when you look at it, but it sure shows when you center the clay and when you trim. And yes, I’ve leveled the table. The wheel still wobbles.   Help!

39 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Leveling the table doesn't matter. One leg could be an inch higher than the others and you could still throw on it just fine. It only matters if the wheel head isn't rotating true with the shaft.

Post a video  if you can that shows the wobble. What brand/model of wheel?

I’ll try to grab some video tomorrow when I go up to play. 

20 minutes ago, Blueraven60 said:

I’ll try to grab some video tomorrow when I go up to play. 

Suggestion
When you video, try to place the camera on a steady spot and maybe fix some sort of index pointer 1/8” above the platter. A stick on a wad of clay usually works fine.

17 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Suggestion
When you video, try to place the camera on a steady spot and maybe fix some sort of index pointer 1/8” above the platter. A stick on a wad of clay usually works fine.

Sorry Bill, I took the video before I read your message. If you can’t make out the problem from this I’ll try your way.  And it won’t let me attach a 15 second video because it’s too big. Is there a secret to posting video here?

6 minutes ago, Blueraven60 said:

Sorry Bill, I took the video before I read your message. If you can’t make out the problem from this I’ll try your way.  And it won’t let me attach a 15 second video because it’s too big. Is there a secret to posting video here?

17 hours ago, Mark C. said:

There has been a rash of cheaper wheels with wobbling heads lately .

I got my money back on this one because I ordered a 30cm wheel and got a 25 cm instead. So I can’t complain. But I’d like to stop the wobble. 

3 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Those Chinese wheels on amazon and ebay are really just junk. If its one of those you are on your own-I think they sell them in 25cm and 30cm so thats my guess.

I wish I had better news for you.

You mean I can’t straighten it out. Man that stinks. Guess I’ll continue with sculpting. 3022D969-CC4E-4031-A7F8-72BB95C8C5FF.jpeg.9979254c703ee8d0cad5ae8771a5e045.jpeg

If is is one of those $200 wheels from Amazon or eBay there's probably not much you can do in terms of getting any customer service. You could take the thing apart and see if you can identify where the wobble is coming from. If it's from the shaft or because the wheel head is poorly made then there's nothing you can do. If it's because the wheel head isn't sitting properly on the shaft, then it may just require taking it off and resetting it, or you may be able to tweak it with a well place thump with a mallet.

15 hours ago, neilestrick said:

If is is one of those $200 wheels from Amazon or eBay there's probably not much you can do in terms of getting any customer service. You could take the thing apart and see if you can identify where the wobble is coming from. If it's from the shaft or because the wheel head is poorly made then there's nothing you can do. If it's because the wheel head isn't sitting properly on the shaft, then it may just require taking it off and resetting it, or you may be able to tweak it with a well place thump with a mallet.

I think you might have something with that last suggestion!  Lol thanks!

19 hours ago, neilestrick said:

or you may be able to tweak it with a well place thump with a mallet.

3 hours ago, Blueraven60 said:

I think you might have something with that last suggestion!

If all else fails it sounds like good therapy.

Archived