newbie intro and LL Jupiter Sectional Kilns

MadMetal

I am looking for input regarding the L&L Jupiter Sectional Kilns. If your interest our newbie intro is below. My shop has single phase which currently tops out on 50 amp breakers (all my welders need). I do have 3 phase but because it runs off a 10 hp converter, my mills and lathes would not then be available during the firing cycles so I am X off that choice. We initially looked at L&L E23T-240 but L&L site states a 60 amp even though the kiln technically only needs a 50 as stated by their plug configurations. i do believe in having head room regarding specs.

Our background:

My Wife and I are new to ceramic, however between us we have extensive background in painting, weaving, metal working etc. My wife is one of the top international designers (seriously) for intimate apparel.  She learned her trade from the old school rag cutters in England. She also has background in painting, weaving and jewelry making and more. I have a full machine\weld\fabrication shop and have retired but still have my equipment and still produce organic styled art pieces. Lately metal spinning (a voodoo art similar to pottery wheel spinning) and copper coloring by heat, time and recipes have been my focus.  We are very organic in our tastes and like the surprises that occur in our work (and gardens). However we do believe in learning the foundational skills.

We are both now becoming immersed into the world of pottery\ceramics. This is for our own joy, however i am a tool snob and believe in "buy the best and largest you can." I only own commercial grade as there are to many disappointments with failures, manufacture short cuts etc at lower product lines. We appreciate everyone has their own $ and footprint constraints.

That being said, we are zeroing in on an L&L kiln. Outside of reading, others opinions, i have zero firing experience and intend to take advantage of any classes etc. I learned my metal work by trial by fire..painful but typically make the mistake only once. Welding and metal work has taught me the principals of "its all about the heat and time".

So regarding the L&L, their Jupiter Sectionals seem quite appealing. If I read the literature correctly, its seems to have at last some expansion growth design. Our first choice was to go front load however my weld circuits are only 50 amp and just not interested in running more cable .

Outside of that, we dont know what we dont know. All input & guidance is appreciated. Buyers remorse is the only failure i cant stand :)

Thanks

Tim & Gill

Hi Gill, Tim,

There are several good choices for new kiln; L&L is certainly a very good one...

I have a seven cubic foot kiln, which was a bit big for starting out, but now I feel like it was a good choice for me. Fifty amps will limit your sizing down a rung from there. How much work to fire at one time, how often, and how big the ware?

I've fitted my kiln with a powered vent and also a powered overhead hood. The former, I'd advise as a necessity, and the latter also necessary if you expect to be in the area whilst firing, for the heat and there's some fumes, even with the powered vent.

If/when a new kiln becomes a serious topic for me, L&L Easy-Fire e23T will be on the short list.

Perhaps forum regulars will compare/contrast the Jupiter series against some of the other choices. I'd spend the difference on somewhat else.

@MadMetal I have owned/used several sectional kilns over the years as I was an art teacher in a large HS, and as a department chair went to the JHS's to help with kilns and firing for those teachers. I have owned an L&L J-2336 for years, just recently replacing it as it had and end. The new kiln is also an L&L as I really like the element holders, and the fact that the old kiln lasted for 36 years.

Looking at the website, there seem to be several kilns that would fit under your electrical limit, the

K-E-18MX/31 e18M-240-1Ph,  being one assuming you have single phase in the shop. As @Hulksays, venting would be important if wanting to work in the shop while firing. At the same time, I would look at getting the Genesis controller. For a slightly larger kiln,'
K-E-23S3/41

e23S-3-220-1Ph

good luck on your search,

best,

Pres

Thanks for the responses. Pres, those are on the short list as well. The sectionals seemed intriguing in concept, but its that old "looks good on paper" but do they perform. So kind of looking to the downside of those. When it comes to buying equipment, guess i am a class is half empty guy..i hate expensive surprises. 

Venting is in the plan as well as any suggested controllers and thermocoupler upgrades. Due to floor real estate, i have EVERYTHING on wheels as many projects require some floor reshuffling.

Hulk please feel free to make alt brand suggestions. Just seemed in the L&L always was at the top of the pack for innovation, quality and support. I dont mind paying for quality, but really get more than annoyed when vendors use thin material, cheap screws, bad welds and support that stops when the check cashes..guess i  am just a regular PITA:)

4 hours ago, MadMetal said:

We initially looked at L&L E23T-240 but L&L site states a 60 amp even though the kiln technically only needs a 50 as stated by their plug configurations.

Code requires that a kiln be on a breaker that is rated 25% greater than the draw of the kiln. So even though the kiln pulls 48 amps, it needs a 60 amp breaker.

4 hours ago, MadMetal said:

Our first choice was to go front load however my weld circuits are only 50 amp and just not interested in running more cable .

Chances are your 50 amp circuits use 6 gauge wire, which is also appropriate for 60 amp circuits. The EFL-1626 uses a 60 amp circuit.

The Jupiter kilns are expandable, but you can't just plop another ring on and be good to go. You'll have to order the control box already wired for additional kiln sections, and you'll have to re-wire the electrical supply circuit if you added a section, as more sections require more amperage. You may also need to change all the elements in the kiln if you add a ring. I have this conversation with a lot of customers, and in 17 years of selling kilns I've never had anyone decide that it was worth the cost and effort. It's easier and more cost effective to just get a kiln that's a bit larger than you need and grow into it over the next few years. As your skills and speed with clay improve, you'll have an easier time filling the kiln. Plus you can get Easy Fire and eQuad models with more power than the Jupiters, the control boxes are easier to work in, and there are fewer electrical junctions where things can go wrong.

Archived