1st Art show in 21 months

Getting ready for doing a large art fair (200 artists). Its been 21 months since I did an art show (not counting my own sale at Christmas last year) . Been packing the van which usually has everything already in it but now its mostly been removed so starting almost from scratch . Sales table, pedestals, pro panels , all removed. Had to reprice a ton of work (prices now up a bit). Had some troubole getting my special heavy load tires (supply chain issues but had them finally installed ($1,200 set of 4-80psi  load range E  belts in the side walls as well)

Going diving as well as a 3 day show-gone for 8 days on this trip in August. Been firing two glaze firings each week and now all the kilns are cooling-two bisques and a glaze fire.I have just shy of 50 boxes in van with another 20 to go and some extra space maybe.I think I will have some spare space in van which is a first for me in past 3 decades. We shall see as its a clsoe call.

Looking forward to real customers at a show. This show I have done for nearly 30 years and I usually have on average 250 customers a day.Friday and Saturday are the big days with Sunday a bit slower .

Its two states away and two ferry trips as well. We have a slide north of us (two hours) which closes the road twice a day for two 4 hour periods during daylight hours which complicates the trip up and back. It part of living in an off the beaten trail spot like we do. 

Anacortes is small town but gets a huge turnout-its the 60th annual show for them.About two hours north of Seattle out in the San Juan Islands.

My show feet are a bit rusty after all this time.

I did do one large sale last year at Christmas, because we lucked out and it fell between the spikes. There were a lot of precautions taken, but it was still weird. Good, but weird.

It’s felt strange applying to the big shows again, but I’m so excited to see all my art show friends when things get back up and running in the fall! Keep us posted Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW is all I can say abiut the show 

I raised prices on 95% of forms . A few went way up.. Some smalls stayed the same. I packed van with every pot I could muster. The weather was a mixed bag with rain on fri early am then again most of  Saturday. Friday and Sunday dry. This show was the best ever for me not only at this venue but best in 47 years at any venue .The public is nuts on buying pottery and everything else  now as well. Most artist dis really well. Booths were spread out and I set up a extra table to keep customers at bay from us wrapping and selling.

This is the same story all my other artist friends have said this summer about shows. The downside now is the virus is coming back hard in most places and at least in California outdoor events are being canceled right now in a huge way. I wore a mask for 3 days all day. About 1/2 the public is masked in Washington at this show and you can feel they want to be out but its degrading in the pacific nothwest as well as the rest of the country. My next show is the southern tip of Nevada state in early Oct-we shall see if this show happens outside in a windy park under a shade tree..It took a huge effort to keep my local venues stocked and do a show but I did both and it really paid off. It feels like time to hunker down again back home.

glad to hear that you have done so well at that show.   finally got word that a big one for me is going to happen on the street in alexandria.   now i can stop looking for small ones closer to my house and concentrate on having a huge amount of pots for october.  

14 hours ago, oldlady said:

glad to hear that you have done so well at that show.   finally got word that a big one for me is going to happen on the street in alexandria.   now i can stop looking for small ones closer to my house and concentrate on having a huge amount of pots for october.  

If the show happens(due to covid numbers on the rise) be prepared for big sales-consider marking your wares up a bit as well.

I put out an extra table to distance ourselves andmasked all during the outdoor show hours. The public is super eager to buy right now. No telling about Oct. Thats my next show as well in NV. as well as a huge wholesale order

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Denice said:

Booth looks great as usual,  did you sell out!   Denice

I did sell out of many items which is not what usually happens as the sales where over the top this show no matter how much back stock I had..Lotion bottles ,spoon rests ,sponge holders,french butterdishes,some dinnerware colors, 1/2 glasses some canister set colors, oval platters all gone. Still on a customer high two weeks later-really missed the direct contact with my customers past 18 months.

Archived