Bisque or Greenware for molds?

Hello! 
I’m trying to figure out how to make molds for the first time. Do I use dried greenware or bisque’d pieces for the mold? Also any tips on how to get started making molds would be great! 

Thank you!~

hi, if you would be more specific about exactly what you intend to make it would be easier to answer your question.   dried greenware is very delicate.   it is just a stage in the process of completion from clay to finished product.   what kind of mold to make what kind of work?   do you have any experience or training at all in clay?

If you want to make a mold from a work in clay make sure there are no undercuts-I would bisque it 1st then coat it with a sealer like spray varnish (remember it will shrink during all these processes. If its in the green state it to fragile as Oldlady mentioned above .

I wanted to try to make a master mold of a mug, most likely with plaster, and wanted to know at what stage of clay I would put into making the mold. I’ve never done molds of pieces I’ve done but I’ve researched the process of mold making but they never state which stage of clay should be used for the molding process. 

You can use clay as a master, just before it gets to leather hard, but strong (and thick) enoug to hold shape, and the weight of the plaster.  I made a mug master out of solid clay.

The final item will be smaller than your master model.

You can pour slip into a plaster mould, or moist clay.  

Try finding a book at your library.  

There are too many variables and options to teach you everything, from scratch, in this forum.

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

I wanted to try to make a master mold of a mug, most likely with plaster, and wanted to know at what stage of clay I would put into making the mold. I’ve never done molds of pieces I’ve done but I’ve researched the process of mold making but they never state which stage of clay should be used for the molding process. 

Am I right in thinking that you want to make a mold for a mug-with-handle?

If so you may find this thread of interest ...

PS I find visuals helpful ...

2 & 3 piece molds for mug with handleimage.jpeg.dc565d6f7b7e673eb6a81ee0e96816bd.jpegimage.jpeg.8a41e71bb6bcd492dd918a6d70d6c502.jpeg

2-piece mold for handle image.jpeg.a09269e12f4328b90816ecd328482bb3.jpeg

combined 2-piece mold for handle-less-mug & handle image.jpeg.b82390a012f5393d6d519167b3697e23.jpeg

"sprig" press-mold for proto-handles image.jpeg.923810e88b82845f9cf51911725e37e3.jpeg

simple shapes can be cast in a 1-piece drop-out mold, which doesn't leave seams to be smoothed
image.png.1c3c74a2e365e6e94f68c573bc5a41e5.png

13 hours ago, Chilly said:

You can use clay as a master, just before it gets to leather hard, but strong (and thick) enoug to hold shape, and the weight of the plaster.  I made a mug master out of solid clay.

The final item will be smaller than your master model.

You can pour slip into a plaster mould, or moist clay.  

Try finding a book at your library.  

There are too many variables and options to teach you everything, from scratch, in this forum.

Okay okay! Thank you! This response really helped a lot! I will definitely try this method! Thank you so much!~

Archived