Mayco glaze disaster - any insight?

hlipper

Hi there - I've been having trouble with my Mayco White Gloss SW-501. I've had the same issue on 2 types of stoneware at both cone 5 and 6. Attaching a picture from my latest firing with a brown stoneware at C5 (the top and bottom glaze are second coat over the white and the white is the primary issue). I also brushed on the glaze onto another piece and the finish wasn't as dramatic but still generally uneven.  Lost a few pieces to this problem :(

Some additional details:

• I fire in a well-ventilated L&L, top peep hole removed
  • Cones confirmed C5 firing
  • I purchase the white gloss dry and mix myself. I received the same finish when it was thicker and after I thinned it out a little

Thanks in advance for any insight!!

IMG_5968.jpg

I would suggest calling Mayco and sharing the pictures including what turned out less dramatic in this firing.. Since this is a dry mix they will likely ask you questions of how it was mixed, was it well mixed, etc…. Anyway they likely have seen this defect and can offer their experience to pin point the problem.

33 minutes ago, hlipper said:

I also brushed on the glaze onto another piece and the finish wasn't as dramatic but still generally uneven. 

33 minutes ago, hlipper said:

I purchase the white gloss dry and mix myself.

Are you mixing it with the required amount of water for a dipping glaze or mixing it to a thick brushing glaze? Could just be that it's mixed way too thickly.

15 minutes ago, Min said:

Are you mixing it with the required amount of water for a dipping glaze or mixing it to a thick brushing glaze? Could just be that it's mixed way too thickly.

I'm using the 1:1 ratio for dipping glaze. Thanks!

12 hours ago, hlipper said:

the top and bottom glaze are second coat over the white

What are the brown speckles on the white glaze? Me, I'd want to just harness the effect and use it "as is"....love it!

Looks like glazeway way too thick .

Dampen/ clean bisque ware before application.

Folk a bit suss re dairy equivalents but drinking yoghurt consistency  or test with SG measurements 1:1 way too thick imo

With @LeeU, love it.  2nd coat contaminated with what?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 12:11 AM, LeeU said:

What are the brown speckles on the white glaze? Me, I'd want to just harness the effect and use it "as is"....love it!

Sorry for the delay! That's an additional glaze - winterwood from mayco. it's a fun addition!

Archived