Skutt Kiln (Older Model) 1227-240, with a 50A-250V Plug | I need to replace the cord

Hello All,

I need to replace the cord for my older 12-sided Skutt kiln. The kiln's age is over 20 years, and I'm not sure if all kilns with the same model number use the same cord/outlet. The plug on my cord says "50A-240V" so, 50 Amps and 240 Volts. I'm looking all over the internet, and can't tell if I've really found the right thing. If anyone knows for sure, confirmation would be great!

Emily

_Burn3.jpg

_Burn5.jpg

Hi Emily!

Good question! Tempted as I am to research your question ...I'd like to suggest contacting Skutt support directly, having found them very responsive and helpful*.

Support - Kilns | Ceramic Pottery Kiln, Glass Kiln, Pottery Wheels | Skutt

You have the required info/detail in your pic - call them during business hours (but not at the end o' th' day, particularly Friday...).

I am, naturally, curious - what is the problem with your cord?

*I'd called them when researching a used wheel I was interested in (a few years ago); a real person answered the phone and answered my questions, stat. When researching a used kiln, the same real person transferred me to a kiln tech, boom, answers!

You can buy a whole new power cord from Skutt for $98.00, or just the plug end for $58.00. In electrician-speak, the plug is a 6-50P (that's the NEMA designation for that configuration) and the receptacle is 6-50R. The receptacle will probably be easy for the electrician to find, but the plug end may be more difficult to find locally.

If you never move the kiln have the electrician wire the kiln into a box without a plug.Its called hardwiring . Then the loose plug/fire issue is eliminated.

My kiln is hardwired and never will I  have your issue. At that 48 amp draw any oxidation or corrosion makes the parts heat up and will melt or catch fire during a firing.

If you go with the plug ckeck it now and again for issues

I would go ahead and replace the entire cord, as the wires are probably not in great condition due to age and the recent event. Kiln power cords need to be rated for 105C, so you can't use the cords from the hardware store. Best to just buy one from the kiln manufacturer.

If you have it hard wired, it would be best to install a fused disconnect switch by the kiln.

Archived