home made plate setters/tile setters

I posted this jpeg and referred to it on another post but no one commented on it.

The posts are thrown cylinders with homes poked at uniform intervals for pegs. The holes are on several sides of the posts. The pictured piece is an inverted bowl.

By using setters rather than kiln shelves per piece, the mass reused to be heated is greatly reduced saving energy.

I would recommend using a raku type of clay for this. This was taken in Spain when I was documenting traditional potters on my Fulbright back in 1985-86.

Marciapost-1954-134183997833_thumb.jpg

post-1954-134183997833_thumb.jpg

I posted this jpeg and referred to it on another post but no one commented on it.

The posts are thrown cylinders with homes poked at uniform intervals for pegs. The holes are on several sides of the posts. The pictured piece is an inverted bowl.

By using setters rather than kiln shelves per piece, the mass reused to be heated is greatly reduced saving energy.

I would recommend using a raku type of clay for this. This was taken in Spain when I was documenting traditional potters on my Fulbright back in 1985-86.

Hi there,

Those are great! I haven't seen anything like that in my area, but will now be more watchful. Very Interesting and useful things. I saw that attachment on the post where you had them before but for some reason the image was too small and I couldn't make it out. Thanks for posting that. Trina

I like these Marcia; a very useful post. I presume that the pegs were made of fired clay coils, but do correct my presumption if that is not correct.

I also presume that there is a practical limit to how far apart the setters can be and still support work reliably, but that would be a function of too many factors for a definitive answer.

A set of these would be a good potter tool project.

John

Hallo Marci...first time i have been able to get connected. Very interesting - food for thought. Thanks

Thanks for reminding me of these Marcia. I made some like this using extrusions about 15 years ago. At that time I used bead bars to hold the plates. Worked well for saucers and little bowls.

• 2 years later...

Archived