Food safe and liner commercial glazes

Olena

Hey guys! Im a newbie so won’t be experimenting with my own glazes yet. Maybe someone could recommend me the commercial liner glazes and food safe glazes you have been using and had good results with? I use stoneware clay and of course I would test it afterwards but well just to see with what I could start.

Thanks,

Olena

If you give the asnswes to this forum people can help you more specifically.

Can you supply these details?

I make my own glazes and so cannot help you with off the shelf stuff but others have lots of info on those, but need the specifics of  what your intentions.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Babs said:

If you give the asnswes to this forum people can help you more specifically.

Can you supply these details?

I make my own glazes and so cannot help you with off the shelf stuff but others have lots of info on those, but need the specifics of  what your intentions.

Cheers

Hi!

i replied to your  questions above. Are there some others  that i dont see?

Answers are in the body of your text @Babs

7195495_ScreenShot2021-04-28at8_17_02AM.png.4b18ceb57bef286f8cc876ac39c6e11d.png

@Olena, is your stoneware a clay that has a broad firing range or is it a cone 6 maximum claybody? 

Re "food safe", there isn't a good definition of this term or a single set of criteria that is applicable to all countries. Which glazes do you have available to you in Spain?

1 hour ago, Min said:

Answers are in the body of your text @Babs

7195495_ScreenShot2021-04-28at8_17_02AM.png.4b18ceb57bef286f8cc876ac39c6e11d.png

@Olena, is your stoneware a clay that has a broad firing range or is it a cone 6 maximum claybody? 

Re "food safe", there isn't a good definition of this term or a single set of criteria that is applicable to all countries. Which glazes do you have available to you in Spain?

Hi! Thanks for highlighting my replies! So my clay is a very fine grogged stoneware to be fired at 1260-1280• .

Yeah, right so the right term would be durable glaze I guess. In Spain the mid-high range temperature glaze I would go for are Mayco, Amaco, Botz brands, thats what I have found so far.

9 hours ago, Babs said:

All I see is Thanks Babs

Bill Kielb  noted the same.

Hopw you can resend them

Sorry if I did not make my replies more clear and visible. These are as mentioned below bu Pres and Min. Thanks

31 minutes ago, Olena said:

Sorry if I did not make my replies more clear and visible. These are as mentioned below bu Pres and Min. Thanks

Thanks, missed the answers every time I looked!

Food safe in the US means simply no lead or cadmium. The manufactured glazes should carry a symbol for food safety although the criteria for it being so is pretty minimal. This is actually a difficult question to answer with many potters choosing to be conservative with this.

So for instance, I will not use a glaze with oxides that can be hazardous such as Vanadium pentoxide, cadmium, chromium, barium, etc.. ......  I Don’t even have them in the glaze lab. I will also only use glazes that have proven durable over time which is another thing difficult to determine. Lots of liner glazes end up to be a reliable white gloss that folks have reasonable confidence is durable, and so that is their way to ensure it is as safe as practical for them.

Not sure this adds much clarity to your question though.

Much of my stuff is porcelain, -very white- so I have a clear gloss developed which has been tested for durability which then becomes an easy way for me to simply apply the clear over the naturally very white clay, no oxides to worry of. If I need colorant over a less white clay I feel zircopax is acceptable as a safe colorant, so back to my trusted clear gloss with zircopax. From there, there are only a couple liner recipes  I personally tested  the durability of and use limited colorants for those.

So again, not a super sophisticated approach and maybe overly conservative but It gives me a reasonable sense of confidence.

Archived