When a platter warps

Hi! I did my first experiment with glazing under my platter. I found an article that said to use a 3 inch stilt for a larger piece. Unfortunately it didn’t say to use at least two and place them on the ends of the piece. It warped of course at cone 5, I’m not sure that it still wouldn’t have warped. I just won’t glaze underneath anymore but I’m wondering if there’s anyway to save the platter now that both sides are glazed. Is there anyway  to flatten it out without it sticking to kiln? Thanks  -Newbie 

Welcome to the forum! Could you upload some photos of the platter? Shots of the top, bottom and side would be good so we could get a better idea of the outcome. How big is the platter? does it have a foot and did you glaze the foot? If it is large and has a foot, does it have a center support bump? Answers here would help us better to make suggestions about steps to possibly salvage the piece...

I'm not a big fan of using stilts for cone 5/6 work. Because the clay gets soft in the firing there's always a good chance of pieces warping when stilted. Better to leave them sitting on the shelf, and just construct them in a way that will allow you to glaze the bottom- like a tall enough foot ring. Or just leave the bottom unglazed.

Archived