Is there a place to buy a used slab roller & wall-mounted extruder?

I have been searching for months for used equipment for a home studio on sites like Facebook (Marketplace, Potter's Attic, Used Equipment), Craig's List, Govdeals, eBay, Ceramic Arts Network, etc. I've had no success. Is there a site or strategy I've missed? I would like to get a wall-mounted extruder and a shimless slab roller. I would eagerly welcome any suggestions. Thank you!

Both of those items are very hard to find used.    I built my extruder from a magazine article from Ceramics Monthly, you can find a lot of info online about building one.    I built mine because I wanted to find out if I would use one enough to put out a lot of money for a new one.   I use it but not a lot,  after several years it needed some repair,  by then I had some ideas on how to improve it.  I have used it for 15 years.   The only way I could save money on a slab roller was to buy the roller unit  from Bailey and build the table myself.  My husband built it out of 2x4's from the instructions that  came with it.    That was twenty years ago  and it still works like it is new,  I use it a lot.   I produce thousands of tiles and do a lot of hand building.  You don't need to start out with  a extruder or slab roller,  you can buy a pastry roller from a restaurant supply co.   I used it for years before I decided it was time to invest in a slab roller.   If you wait awhile many of the people who decided to open a pottery studio during covid will move on to something else.  There will be a lot of equipment for sale.    My first studio had a tiny table, three tools,  bucket, glaze brush and a used kiln.   Denice

TA Metalworks in Canada manufactures a quality extruder for a good price.  It looks very similar to the Bailey 4" extruder.  I've sent you a PM with additional information and links.

Regarding slab rollers, you may want to search the forums as there are several posts on building tables for the Bailey slab roller.  Bailey will send designs upon request  - you will need to specify DRD or DRDII because they have different builds.   The designs contain enough information to build a table, but they are not full construction drawings so you will need to determine a lot of dimensions yourself.  Please note that the DRDII slab roller requires different table heights on the feed side and the output side of the machine, and there are some pretty tight spacing tolerances between the table tops and the rollers.    In my opinion, this is not a project for a novice wood worker.   I ordered a 24 inch DRDII (machine only) and had 2 tables built for it (one small one for the machine itself, and  a larger work table to receive the slabs).  I chose this approach for added functionality/flexibility, because I wanted to be able to roll the machine into a corner when not needed while having a general work table in the studio. This was more expensive than ordering the table from Bailey.   Factoring in cost and time, I'm not sure you end up saving much by building your own. table (even a simpler one), especially with the recent spike in lumber prices.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...