Kiln Size Question

neilestrick - I see you're a distributor for L&L, the e23t? Is on my list as a finalist for my goal in a couple years... How does it compare with other 7 cu ft kilns? I am short, so I think a 7 cu is my limit or else I'll have issues loading bottom. The skutt 1027 is another on my finalist list... Haven't made a final decision yet

23 hours ago, kre8ivLizard said:

neilestrick - I see you're a distributor for L&L, the e23t? Is on my list as a finalist for my goal in a couple years... How does it compare with other 7 cu ft kilns? I am short, so I think a 7 cu is my limit or else I'll have issues loading bottom. The skutt 1027 is another on my finalist list... Haven't made a final decision yet

If you're short, then don't get a 27" tall kiln like the e23T. Every brand now sells models that are 22.5" tall, which will be much easier to load. Or, if you don't need that much height but still want a full 7 cubic feet, then get an e28S-3. It's 28" wide, but only 18" tall. Super easy to load since it's short, and great for wide pots like serving bowls, platters, plates, etc, and there's less wasted space in the wider diameter. I sell more of that size than the e23T.

• neilestrick changed the title to Kiln Size Question

Without getting into kiln height and someone who just bought and l&l kiln I can say, if you can, get a size larger than you think. I already wish I had gotten a slightly larger one haha. That said the kiln has been fantastic so far. Now I need a second one I think :)

• 1 month later...

The new L&L M size is great for us shorter folks: They are 22.5" as Neil mentioned.

I am about 5'5" with shoes on and I struggle to reach the bottom of a regular 3 ring 27" kiln such as e23T or 28T.

The 2 ring size worries me as you don't want something you will out grow if you start making taller work.

The 2 and 1/2 ring "M" size is MUCH easier to load without really sacrificing much space and still fits pretty tall pots!

L&L E23M-3 Easy-Fire Kiln Package | Sheffield Pottery Kilns (sheffield-pottery.com)

On 5/23/2021 at 2:31 PM, neilestrick said:

I don't sell a lot of the 23T kilns any more. More often I sell the 23M or 28S. The e28S-3 is the same volume as the e23T-3, but easier to load and much better for fitting serving bowls, platters, and dinnerware.

I always worry about people outgrowing the 18" height being that 16" is about the tallest pot they can fit.  I am not a great thrower but as I get better I can see being able to throw taller than that.  So with potters who are not just making tiles, plates, and platters I find that 22.5" is the perfect compromise! I think Olympic had this height first, then Skutt . It's smart that Cone Art, and  L&L Kilns have followed suit. So many great options now for people!   A really brilliant one is the square Cone Art 2322DSQ: has the 22.5" height but since it is 23" square it is still a full 7 cubic feet with a reasonably small footprint! I think L&L might have a Davinci in this size but not sure off the top of my head.  

56 minutes ago, timbo_heff said:

I always worry about people outgrowing the 18" height being that 16" is about the tallest pot they can fit. 

Yeah, it all depends on what you want to make. I make some fat 12 pound lidded jars, and they'll fit in there. But I also do some tall narrow vases and they get to more like 18", so I'd have to really watch that and tailor the pots to fit the kiln. For most hobby potters it's not an issue, though. I'd say that 98% of the pots I make would fit no problem.

59 minutes ago, timbo_heff said:

I think Olympic had this height first, then Skutt .

Paragon has had mid-height kilns for a really long time. Most of the older kilns of that height use a blank row in the middle, which I'm not a big fan of since the middle is where the thermocouple is, and is also the area where we tend to pack the kiln tighter. It's better to have every row powered.

1 hour ago, timbo_heff said:

I think L&L might have a Davinci in this size but not sure off the top of my head.  

L&L only offers 22.5" tall kilns in the Easy Fire series. They'd probably be willing to build one one, though.

You might want to look at the L&L  eFL front load series.  Of my 3 L&L kilns, the eFL is my favorite.  It give me a lot of flexibility in terms of height it can accommodate and saves me from a lot of bending that is really hard on the lower back.  Nitride-bonded SiC shelves make loading the upper reaches of the kiln a breeze.

14 minutes ago, Piedmont Pottery said:

You might want to look at the L&L  eFL front load series.  Of my 3 L&L kilns, the eFL is my favorite.  It give me a lot of flexibility in terms of height it can accommodate and saves me from a lot of bending that is really hard on the lower back.  Nitride-bonded SiC shelves make loading the upper reaches of the kiln a breeze.

The eFL are fabulous kilns, if you can get them into the space. Since they don't unstack, most people with a home studio are limited to keeping them in the garage, which may or may not be ideal. They also cost more than a top loader, but they are an excellent price point for a front loader. Glad you like yours. I've sold and installed a few and have never had any complaints.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, neilestrick said:

The eFL are fabulous kilns, if you can get them into the space.

This is an important point.  I have the 2635 model, and I needed a forklift to get it up on my loading dock and then a pallet dolly to maneuver it into position in the kiln room.  Definitely more up-front work than a sectional kiln to get it positioned.

Archived