Glazing tiny small items

Hello, and thank you in advance for any advice.

I am gaving some issues with glazing small items. ( little earrings, studs ) 

Tried brushing, but because i don’t have a good grip i must do one side, leave it to dry and then fill the part where i held it, and usually turns out an uneven coat. 

I also tried pouring glaze over the pieces, but it gathers at the base and changes the item entirely.

And also tried glazing only the top part, but sincerely, i really want the laterals done also. 

It is my first time glazing and don’t know if the texture remains the same or there are some changes while firing ( maybe it melts a bit and becomes more even? )

thank you so much! 

Have you tried holding them with a pointed tip pair of tweezers? Brush the glaze on then when it's dry glaze the bare area where the tweezers were.

3 hours ago, Dorina said:

It is my first time glazing and don’t know if the texture remains the same or there are some changes while firing ( maybe it melts a bit and becomes more even? )

Some glazes level out, others don't. Just have to try a few test pieces and see how your glaze does.

4 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

Do your pieces have holes in them, for attaching a wire ?  If so, you could try put a string or piece of thread through the hole, and dip them in your glaze.

I also have some with holes, i found those much easier to work with. As you said, the hole helped with the grip. The ones without holes are giving me a pain.

The next question might be...once you have these little pieces glazed, how do you plan on firing them without them fusing to the kiln shelf. How are you going to support them off the shelf so they don't stick? What cone do you plan on firing them to? You have to think ahead in the overall process...

Exactly. I am trying to figure out a method to glaze only the top and laterals, so that the bottom doesn’t come near the glaze. I actually experimented with a pair of brushes, it is a slow, laborious work, but i am willing to do it. I catch one part of the piece, glaze the other, wait until it dries and then catch drom the dried part and glaze the rest. However, i feel that the glaze turns out uneven, hope it evens out in the firing process. Or to find a better method. 

For now, i have a clear, unglazed bottom, which i wanted, but an uneven top :( 

13 hours ago, Dorina said:

Hello!

I attached an image, hope it helps.  the ones without holes are the tricky ones.  Since there would be no glaze on the bottom, i was planning to fire them normally, on the shelf? 

62BA1439-82AC-4155-8FF1-716DF606DCA9.jpeg

This reminds me of a potter that made hundreds of buttons every few months. She sprayed all her work, unglazed on the bottoms  and would fit them into our cone ten gas firings. Spraying seems to be what was most productive for her.

I was thinking of an aerograph, to be honest. But hoped it wouldn’t be necessary. Well, i guess i will make a test to see how it goes with the current brushing solution and make a decision after i see the results. But even if it comes out ok, it will take ages to finish all the project. I have about 5-600 pieces. Thanks for the advice. It might be tge solution i was searching for. Much appreciated! Thanks a lot!!! 

If I was doing those I'ld use a dipping glaze and dip the pieces using either pointed tweezers or a small staple remover then rub over the blemish from the tweezers/staple remover when the glaze is dry.  I wouldn't use wax resist but wipe the bottoms across a thin wet piece of foam or low nap carpet to remove the glaze from the bottom. This is how I did hundreds of very small porcelain seashells, it's fast. 

Thank you so much. I will try all methods and see which one has the best results and is also most efficient. Well. At least i have options. Quite a few actually. Never would i have thought of this method, for example.  :) i very much appreciate it. I will come back to share the results. Thanks a bunch! 

Archived