$500 for 10 year old Brent model B wheel - worth it?

Reynoldsnumber

Hi all,

Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum to post this. I found a Brent model B for $500. Apparently it has been used in a classroom for approximately 10 years, but is supposedly in good working order. Is this a reasonable price for this wheel assuming it’s in working order? Only available pics are attached. 

https://ibb.co/XYtwX2L

https://ibb.co/fHZbhVB

Thanks so much,

Dan

16 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Brents get put in classrooms for a reason. They’re good little workhorses. They do have a motor that hums, unlike some of the new Whispers, but if you don’t work in silence it’s not an issue. You could do much worse.

Thanks so much for your response :) I don’t mind a little hum. 

The C and CXC are fitted with bigger motors, aye, the B is, however, quite burly with "Permanent magnet 1/2 hp, 5 amp DC motor -- allows the user to work with up to 150 lbs. of clay." Continuous use in a hot place with very large load o' clay might be a strain.

It is burly.

11 hours ago, Hulk said:

The C and CXC are fitted with bigger motors, aye, the B is, however, quite burly with "Permanent magnet 1/2 hp, 5 amp DC motor -- allows the user to work with up to 150 lbs. of clay." Continuous use in a hot place with very large load o' clay might be a strain.

That's interesting. They used to advertise these by centering capacity, which is much, much lower than 150 pounds.  If I remember correctly the B was listed at about 25 pounds centering capacity, which isn't a lot. That 150 rating means it can turn with 150 pounds, not that you can put a lot of pressure on it and expect it to not slow down. The model B is a good school wheel, and is perfectly good for most pots, but it is not burly.

But like I said, for $500 it's a good price and will work great as long you're not making a lot of 15 pound jars.

Archived