Thumbs up or thumbs down -- Shimpo Slab Roller SR3050 ?

NanS

I am setting up a studio of my own for the first time (!) and am planning to purchase a slab roller, as I am a handbuilder and work mainly with slabs.  I have honed in on this one as it is the least expensive one with the features I'm looking for (built in table, dual adjustable rollers, no shims). 

https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/Shimpo-Slab-Roller-p/ssr3050.htm

I say least expensive, but it is still a lot of money ($800) so I don't want to end up with a piece of equipment I regret.  Wondering if anyone reading this has experience with this slab roller and can give it a positive (or negative) review?  Also, I am not a production potter, am not selling my work right now, and the slab roller will not get a ton of wear and tear in my studio.  I've seen that people on here like the Baileys -- the most similar one that Bailey has to offer is the Bailey SRT-30 Table Top, but I don't want to have to build a separate table for the slab roller.   Thanks so much in advance for your insight and help!

I have been around one of these at an art center-not a stout as a Bailey for sure.

(as I am a handbuilder and work mainly with slabs) 

This will be a key piece  of equipment for you.

Seems you could go to Baileys and check them out.As you are in same state

Since you live in NY seems Bailey would be a solid choice

I have this slab roller.  I use it in my hand-building classes and for my open studio users, and it has proven itself to be a solid and reliable performer so far (about 1 year now).  I haven't used a Bailey slab roller in about 20 years, so I cant comment on current models, but the Shimpo is at least as good as that old Bailey was from a usage standpoint.  I like the ability to roll through from either direction on the Shimpo.  The only weak point in my opinion is the assembly and use manual.  The assembly instructions aren't the easiest to follow, but I was able to figure it out.  referring to the photos and rereading the instructions gets you through the difficult bits.  The actual operating portion of the instructions are all of four lines, but if you've used other slab rollers, it's pretty straightforward.

just fyi, many of the large bailey slab rollers have the short on one side and long on the other table.   that is a design that followed the original design which had a long table on each side.   studio space became more important so the smaller table became popular.

i have one of the long table on each side machines.   it is wonderful, the difference is that i can roll the slab in both directions because it has a board with canvas that carries the clay through the rollers.   it was designed to go both or either way and it works as well today as it did in 1991 when i bought it.   i have had to replace the top canvas once because i wore the original one out.  the board still goes through perfectly.  i love the 8 foot long table because i mounted it on a strong,  handbuilt table that fits my height and i use it as a work surface after rolling out the slab.

the short on one end machine was designed so that the slab HAS to be rolled from the short to the long side.   i understand that if you try to roll it the other way it will not work or you will end up breaking it.   i have never used that kind but was told that it worked that way.

you might consider trying to find a used bailey.   maybe an impossible task but you might try that.   wish your friend many happy years of potting, i also use one similar to the one you mention and have made the table longer so i can use it for working on.   of the two, i prefer the bailey.

Appreciation to those who replied.

Thanks Mark C. For the suggestion to go try the Bailey.  I’m not sure if their show room is open, but it is a good idea and would definitely give me more info to go on. I’m going to Iook into it.

Piedmont Pottery— thanks for the feedback, this is a very reassuring review.  I’m pretty good at putting things together and will be ready for an assembly challenge if I buy the Shimpo.

oldlady:  I remember using a Bailey in a former pottery school that is like the one you describe, that can roll in either direction. It was huge and awesome.  Absolutely a great feature in a slab roller.  Piedmont Pottery said in her review that the Shimpo can roll in both directions as well, so that’s a check in the plus column for the Shimpo. 

That slab roller is the same one that has been sold by many companies, under many names, for the last 20 years. They are made by Friendly Manufacturers Corp (Frema) in Taiwan. Axner sold it as the Rolling Thunder. Ceramic Supply and Euclids still sell it as well. I sold a few of them about a decade ago, and they were pretty well built machines. A friend of mine bought one and never had an issues with it. It wasn't as beefy as a Bailey, but for the money it was worth it, and in a hobby studio it should work well.

According to this shipping info, it looks like Bailey pugmills are also made by Frema. Euclids sells a lot of Frema products.

Archived