Soldner Wheels - Does anyone have experience?

Adam Dippel

I'm a fairly new potter and finding a used wheel has been near impossible with Covid. I'm looking at new wheels and Soldner appeals to me for a few reasons but, frustratingly, I can't go to my local Soldner dealer to look at one... (hint. It doesn't exist.....) 

Does anyone have experience working with these wheels?? I don't plan on throwing anything heavier than large bowls... Would the S50 do the job?

Tim See on YouTube said the S100 is the only wheel he'd ever buy new. So that's something. 

PS. I've been throwing on a VL whisper thus far. I make alot of mugs, some bowls and plates. 

Thanks!! 

Adam

1/6 hp motor is really small motor. I would pass on this wheel and get the s100 (1/4 hp)   if space is why you like this wheel.These are smaller size than the classic soldners

As one grows into clay its hard to say I'll never make a large pot. 1/4hp is the smallest motor I would buy-thats the same as say a model B Brent wheel motor.

Thanks Mark! Great advice.

I've read that hp ratings aren't an exact science... It's more about how the pedal and controller handle the power and Soldner does more with less hp. The S50 is rated up to 50lbs. Is that the spec to work from? The frustration here is not being able to test drive or hear from someone who's used one. 

Soldner wheels have amazing torque despite low horsepower. I've not used the S50, but I did use a P100 for a while and it was amazing. They're worth every dime in terms of how smoothly they run. The 100 is only $150 more, so I'd get it if I were you. The downside of the Soldner wheels is that the splash pan is pretty much worthless, and I'm not sure there even is one for the S wheels.  They make a huge mess if you tend to throw with much water, and trimmings go everywhere. Lots of cleanup. If you want something with great power/torque that makes very little mess at all, then go with a Skutt wheel. The 1/3hp can handle just about anything, and the large splash pan holds a ton of mess.

6 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Soldner wheels have amazing torque despite low horsepower. I've not used the S50, but I did use a P100 for a while and it was amazing. They're worth every dime in terms of how smoothly they run. The 100 is only $150 more, so I'd get it if I were you. The downside of the Soldner wheels is that the splash pan is pretty much worthless, and I'm not sure there even is one for the S wheels.  They make a huge mess if you tend to throw with much water, and trimmings go everywhere. Lots of cleanup. If you want something with great power/torque that makes very little mess at all, then go with a Skutt wheel. The 1/3hp can handle just about anything, and the large splash pan holds a ton of mess.

Thanks for this! Much appreciated... I would like the S100 if possible. I know that Brent splash pans work on the S wheels so that solves the mess problem. Going to look at the Skutt 1/3 as well! 

• 9 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 12:10 PM, neilestrick said:

According to my research, Soldner P series has an adjustable height from 22" to 28".  If it is set at 28", will it be high enough for a standing work position? 

2 hours ago, YCC said:

According to my research, Soldner P series has an adjustable height from 22" to 28".  If it is set at 28", will it be high enough for a standing work position? 

You'll want the top of the wheel head to be about hip level, so probably too short at 28". Put it on cinder blocks and adjust from there.

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

You'll want the top of the wheel head to be about hip level, so probably too short at 28". Put it on cinder blocks and adjust from there.

I read a comment about the Soldner P 

Posted June 21, 2012

The trick with the Soldner splash pan is the space it gives you to "get around the wheel". I like to get up almost against the wheel so I don't get fatigued and can get more precision out of my pieces. I'm a short, stocky guy and big splash pans push me away from the work.

I am using Skutt Thomas at school.  I am short about 5'1.5" tall.  With the big splash pan, I need to open my legs widely which causes my hip join discomfort.  It looks like the Soldner has the shortest distance between the wheel and splash pan.  Do you think it might help reducing the fatigue on hip and lower back as well?

I am new to pottery.  Skutt Thomas is the first throwing wheel I have ever used.  I usually lean my arms on top of the splash pan to get support when centering the clay.  Not sure if I can do that on the Soldner?  Or can I center, pull, or do other works without using the splash pan to support my arms?  I really like the sensitive respond of the pedal at a lower wheel speed.  If Soldner can accommodate my need physically.  I will definitely pick Soldner. 

One more concern is the 2 years warranty which seems shorter than other brands ranging from 5 to 10 years.  Do you have any issue with Soldner mechanically?  Does the wheel get noisier as times go by?

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If the motor is rebuildable/repairable, local small electric motor repair.

Looks like Bluebird is a contact for Soldner pottery wheels:

For Technical Support, parts and /or Service Call 970 484-3243 or
email: info(at)bluebird-mfg.com
Be sure to include your serial number.

Bluebird Manufacturing, Inc.
P.O. Box 2307
Fort Collins, CO 80522-2307
Phone: 970-484-3243
FAX: 970-493-1408