Can engobe be added to wet clay and then bisque fired?

James Bugert

Thanks for this reply. I made a slab and will bisque fire it for a test to see if it explodes. I am assuming it might, but less likely than if I had used a glaze rather than an engobe. I know a slip would not explode but this stuff is between those two extreams. Mortor coloring powder is very expensive so I hope this is stable and less expensive. Jim, the originator of this question. :)

using stains , mason brand stains in the US.   there is a member potter in north carolina who has many posts on her website about coloring porcelain.   look at ccpottery.com .   chris campbell has been very generous in her advice to novice potters.   

is there a reason you want to color a clay that is already gray?  that will make it much harder to color since you have to overcome the gray.   are the engobes already in your glaze kitchen so you want to use them up?      what is the ultimate result you are looking for?    what are you trying to make?

@James Bugertas long as any of those things are incorporated into the clay so it’s homogenous, nothing should explode. If you’re adding dry powder to workable clay, you need to cut slam a LOT. It’s easier if you add powder to reclaim slurry, blend thoroughly and dry it out. 

edited to add: If you add glaze to a clay in that fashion, you’ll change the maturation point and may have issues with bloating, so maybe don’t do that one. 

Callie, Wow! That was such a clear and concise explanation I recommend you for answerererer of the year... Also, it was the answer I wanted to hear so that helps... hahaha I will let you know if anything bad happens. PS: If you hear an explosion way up there in Canada, I will not be notifying you from earth... :)

Archived