Rookie question: can i glaze greenware and fire only once?

EvaB

Hello, I've been taking handbuilding ceramic as hobby, no wheel, no kiln. I managed to fire some pieces, some pots and mugs, by renting a kiln, using the 2 firings. I am now wondering whether i could shorten the process. Do you do it? Can you give me some advice? Thanks

Once  firing is a thing and usually is fired at the rate of a bisque firing because the clay still needs to go through this process. Also not all combinations of glaze / clay / firing schedule, work out without reasonable  testing and refining. Folks  who once fire successfully usually have proven tested clays and glaze combinations  that they have tested successfully.

4 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Once  firing is a thing and usually is fired at the rate of a bisque firing because the clay still needs to go through this process. Also not all combinations of glaze / clay / firing schedule, work out without reasonable  testing and refining. Folks  who once fire successfully usually have proven tested clays and glaze combinations  that they have tested successfully.

yes, i understand it's more risky and more prone to disasters...

Once firing while using somebody else's kiln is tricky. Bisque firing everything first solves/prevents a lot of problems for the kiln owner. Asking them to skip the bisque firing for you is asking for a lot. They may not want to do it, and that would be their right. Make sure to talk about this with the kiln owner before you hand them an un-bisqued pot with glaze on it. If they are loading a large volume of pots into glaze kilns every week, they might not notice a green pot slipping past. There's a good chance your own pot would fail, and possibly cause damage to other pots around it. 

eva,  unless you have your own kiln, once firing is not for you, Mea is right.

when you do own your own kiln, it is possible to single fire your work.   it works best if everything is approximately the same thickness so you may not have the skill yet to make pieces that would survive.   learn all you can as you go from novice to experienced potter.  

Some Public spaces Candle under 200F overnight just for the sake of candling overnight under 200F. Some of them do because someone not as thoughtful as you brought greenware without asking! Some of them do because the old kiln person programmed it that way and no one knows how to change it!

Point is, if they are already "water smoking" the kiln, disasters are near impossible, so inquiry is worth it.

I'd do anything to single fire. 

You could find a "safety saggar" of sorts, so if your stuff blows up, it doesn't ruin anything but your stuff. Weigh for dry and nothing will blow up!

Sorce

Archived