Thinking about making olla pots

52 minutes ago, kristinanoel said:

What a great idea! 

Question for firing experts - what happens if she were to fire to 06, fill with water and test how long it takes to seep through - if it was too fast, could she fire AGAIN to 04? What would the actual result be on the ware? 

That sounds logical ,   thanks

You can try at 06 and then refire to 04, not a problem... I will sometimes re-bisque pots that have been laying around getting dirty just to clean them up.

As far as firing to 06 or 04, I think it depends on your body.  When I bisque to 04, my body weeps so slowly it would be useless as an olla.  I know because I have made closed planters (no drainage hole) and they will sit full of water for weeks.

50 minutes ago, Barbsbus 4 fun said:

I am hoping I could just fire to 06 or 04 since they have to be able to wick water for the plants and if I fired them to 5 they wouldn't let out the water.

Forgive me, I didn't read beyond "used to cook stews".

I guess these thoughts still apply....

There is a difference in strength between a body which is fired to maturity and still porous, and a body that is underfired.

I guess the concern then would mostly be where they will be used, in a soil prone to heavy dense compaction, even without freeze, a weaker body may be more likely to break.

Perhaps run some porosity tests on your clay, as well as you can between 04 and 5, and see what offers the best porosity/strength. To get the best use of what you have.

I personally think these are one of the items we can dig free local earthenware to make. Fired to maturity, yet porous. ?

Sorce

Archived