How to stop fingermarks on a matt bronze glaze

BettyH

I've had a small pottery company make me some candle jugs. I asked for a matt bronze glaze. the result is great.
However I've just received 6 (the other 1000 have been made the same) and once they are touched they leave a mark. The surface isn't smooth, it's a grainy texture.
Does anyone of a way to 'seal' these jugs so that they don't mark without putting them back in a kiln?  See pic:  http://mbf.cc/u1xkak
I tried spraying a matt acetone clear varnish. It worked, but the jug then went dull brown and I lost the bronze lustre
Any thoughts to try welcome!

Clear varnish would have been my first suggestion for a kiln free solution, but you’ve said that didn’t work. It looks like the surface is picking up finger oils and just not letting them go. If there are only a few pieces this is happening with, I’d be more inclined to contact the company that made them in the first place and get them to address the defect. 

Not that this will help but this may not be an easy fix as they are all now made.If your six are samples and the run is not glazed yet you have more hope.

Hopefull this is a test sample and they can fix the issue. Since its a dull matt surface you are after I doubt it. It also looks low temp firing is my guess as well.

The matt clear is all I can think of a swell-any spray on material will change the matt luster. 

How about livin g with the resultss of doing nothing or spray matt?

On 10/4/2020 at 8:26 AM, BettyH said:

The surface isn't smooth, it's a grainy texture.

I would question if they were fired to the correct temperature/cone, that doesn't look like a well melted glaze. Could be that they are just underfired. Did you sign off on the sample glaze and did it have this issue?

On 10/4/2020 at 10:26 AM, BettyH said:

Any thoughts to try welcome!

I think I would try a urethane matte clear, very thin even spray. Very likely not food safe or durable so I would  definitely permanently label them as well. You may have better luck Improving the depth of the look with a thin gloss application. Thin enough for the texture to remain so it won’t appear high gloss but likely could amplify the present diffraction of light that makes this look unique.

16 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Maybe try a few different sealers and see if they all behave the same- acrylic, poly, wax, etc. It could be that once you put something on the surface it affects how it reflects light and loses the luster.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll try different ones. .... 

On 10/6/2020 at 12:58 AM, Min said:

I would question if they were fired to the correct temperature/cone, that doesn't look like a well melted glaze. Could be that they are just underfired. Did you sign off on the sample glaze and did it have this issue?

I signed of the sample glaze which was smoother, and not quite as lustre in 'sparkle'.  They did keep telling me that they were having to fire them in the corner of the kiln.

23 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

I think I would try a urethane matte clear, very thin even spray. Very likely not food safe or durable so I would  definitely permanently label them as well. You may have better luck Improving the depth of the look with a thin gloss application. Thin enough for the texture to remain so it won’t appear high gloss but likely could amplify the present diffraction of light that makes this look unique.

I have tried a couple of matt sprays but not polyurethane - so will try that. So far all of them make the jug go dark and dull. I'll have a go at a gloss version too! thank you

23 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

. I will try that next. The jugs are for massage candles - so not for food thankfully. But when a customer uses them the oil/wax will mark the jug. This didn't happen with the original sample as it wasn't grainy.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:58 AM, Min said:

Agree- unfortunately all done now, so I have to find a way to fix it myself. thanks

Archived