Old kiln worth keeping?

I have a very, very old kiln that I got from my sister.  She no longer has the instructions for it.  It's called a Medallion  Electric Kiln.  (I don't believe it's related to the Medallion Olympic kiln.)  I'm wondering if it's worth trying to use it since I have no experience with kilns.  It's 250 volts, 20 amps, 4000 watts, cone 8, 2300 max temperature with a Skutt-K kiln sitter.  I'm sure it would be easier to start with a newer model, but I don't know how much kilns change over the years and if this one is worth anything.  Should I sell it?  Give it away? Keep it an try to figure out how it works? Thanks for any opinions or advice you can give!

The timer is a black knob near on the sitter you can dial that shuts the kiln off at a predetermined time so its basically a safety shut off.Just in case the cone sitter fails to turn it off.

My all manuel skutt has one. They are an upgrade  and are nice to have in an all manual kiln.

I have an older skutt thats about the same model as yours only larger -3 sections its a 218 shelves are 21 inchs wide. Its 38.5 amps max temp cone 6.  with 2.5 inch walls. Only a cone sitter no timer-I sold it (yet to be picked up) for $350. Inside is clean and bricks are in good shape-comes with a NEW spare lid and 6 shelves and some extra pasrt and a spare new kiln sitter complete tube.Its really only a bisque kiln ands cone 6 will kill it.My buyer only wants to bisque in it as she does wood fired  high fire pots.

Here are some photos of the dials and markings on the kiln.  I don't have a photo of the overall outside or inside of the kiln.  It's stored at another house and it may be a week or so before I can get more photos.  Having trouble uploading these so I'll try to reduce size add them one at a time.

On another subject about the kiln, I have an open garage bay that I was hoping to put the kiln in when firing.  It was used by the former owner as a mechanic's garage and has an old buildup of oil on the gravel.  Is there danger of igniting it if leave some of the gravel in place?  I'd scrape out the area where the kiln would sit.  It's an open-air situation, 3 walls and one wall open, so there shouldn't be a buildup of heat.

kiln 6.JPG

Archived