Water slide decal paper printer toner question

Anyone have experience with cheaper non-HP/Canon brand toner cartridges? Do they work ok? I'm looking into buying a used laser printer to make decals and I just want to know if I'm going to have to pay the premium price for the name brand toner. As I understand it, though, the toner contains iron oxide because it sticks to the drum well. So I'm assuming that all replacement toners would have the iron so that they can function as intended. I want to be sure before I start buying things though. Anyone have luck with certain off-brands of toner? or found any that don't work? Thanks!

You may find a couple of earlier threads started by Clay Lily of interest.
toner and compatible computer to make b&w decals
Making Decals using HP Laser Jet Printers with toner made by Laser Cartridge Pllus

I wanted to @... her in case she felt like contributing to this thread but she wasn't in the list, but maybe a PM would work.

PS I'm not certain what the official way of finding a thread is, but a search for the name with everywhere, all of my search terms, and content titles only seems to work.

I use these transfer sheets frequently, and they work well with the right toner cartridges.  Many HP black and white laser printers use toner cartridges, and as Callie said, MSDS info is available online for the cartridges.  One of the ones I'm using is an HP MFP M29W.  When looking at the MSDS you wont necessarily see iron or iron oxide listed,  e.g., you may see magnetite listed.  Do not be tempted to use non OEM toner cartridges unless you can find an MSDS for them.  Most of the less expensive generic toner cartridges use carbon and polymers for the toner, which will simply burn off in the firing.

10 hours ago, Piedmont Pottery said:

Do not be tempted to use non OEM toner cartridges unless you can find an MSDS for them.  Most of the less expensive generic toner cartridges use carbon and polymers for the toner, which will simply burn off in the firing.

Agree completely and have been unsatisfied with the results of the polymers toners, not only because of vanishing in the fire, but they are very weak in the photolithography technique.   Even as a slip resist it performs sub-par.

Archived