Stoneware / porcelain clay that won’t fuse together when fired unglazed to cone 5

Hello, 

I have been working with earthenware since I started my ceramic journey and usually make non functional ware that is unglazed or finished with terra sigilatta and have been stacking my pieces to maximize kiln space.  I'm ready to make a switch to stoneware and porcelain and planning to make unglazed beads , components and small 3 dimensional wall hangings made out of coils ( like chains) I have come across a few topics where there has been mention of certain stoneware and porcelain can fuse to the other items when stacked. My question is do any of you have any recommendations about  mid range commercial clay   ( porcelain and stoneware) bodies that do not pose that issue when fired to cone 5 ? My intention for example  is to fire beads in a bowl . Or stack small tiles, coil chain and coil tubes. 

Thank you ! 

I would only think they may fuse to each other, as porcelain will stick to a shelf and "pluck". That is cured with wax resist containing a little alumina. You should also be able to use this if you find things fusing, but unglazed, at cone 5, I doubt you will see fusing.

If you are East U.S. I recommend Standard Clay.

Sorce

9 hours ago, Sorcery said:

I would only think they may fuse to each other, as porcelain will stick to a shelf and "pluck". That is cured with wax resist containing a little alumina. You should also be able to use this if you find things fusing, but unglazed, at cone 5, I doubt you will see fusing.

If you are East U.S. I recommend Standard Clay.

Sorce

I did read about the alumina with wax resist which sounds like an amazing idea, but yet another step :(

I will look into standard clay  , Thank you !! 

Most porcelain will stick to itself when fired to maturity. A lot of stoneware bodies will, too. We always use alumina wax in my studio for lids and such that will touch during glaze firing, regardless of the type of clay body. I've had just as man stoneware lids stuck as porcelain lids when students forget the alumina. If you're firing unglazed beads, just lightly dust them with alumina and put them in a bowl to fire.

Archived