First time Soldner Kick Wheel User...

NJoyPoppy

Hi all!

New to this forum and excited to connect. Due to the pandemic, I have decided to invest in my own home based studio. I recently came upon a Soldner kick wheel after years of primarily using brent/shimpo electric wheels. 

I’ve been searching the Internet for tips on making this transition to primarily throwing on a kick wheel, but to no avail. 

Does anyone have tips / tricks / recommendations on making the switch to solely throwing on a kick wheel ? Anyone have access to videos of centering on a kick wheel?

Thanks!

The best way to use a kick wheel is to kick, then throw, kick, then throw. Don't try to do both at the same time. You'll find that the wheel slows down whenever you touch the clay, so you'll have to get used  to working too fast at the start of each motion, and too slow at the end of each motion. It's a slower process than working on an electric wheel, but it works once you get used to it. Trimming on a kick wheel is the best!

Working with the rhythm of the slowing wheel can be very helpful in throwing small pieces. I first learned to throw on motorized kick wheel, then worked on an Amaco kick wheel. As Neil has said learn to work when the wheel is up to speed with the kicking, not while kicking. You may find it easier to use both feet to kick, the left foot extended to contraction, the right contraction to extended. It takes little effort to keep coordinated but can be worth it. A really old joke about throwers that kicked with only on leg had to have their pants altered because of the Asymmetry of the legs!

Again, Neil is correct as the amount of control you have with the kick in trimming is really nice.

You may decide to look into adding a motor to the wheel, as my second wheel I did such as there was a kit to motorize it. Don't know about the Soldner.

best,

Pres

Hello

I have been teaching myself to throw on a treadle” wheel  which is easy to throw and move with foot at the same time  the sound is wonderful. Its a stand up wheel which is nice to do when used to sitting at the wheel.

Mind you I am a beginner  

Archived