Leaking splash pan

Kiwi20

Hi

Was hoping for some guidance.  I bought a used wheel shampoo 21.  The 2 piece splash pan leaked , I replaced it,  while not leaking as much there is still water coming out.   Never had a splash pan leak before.  Any ideas/suggestions?  The wheel works great.

thanks for your help.

i

Thanks!  I am so happy to be here.  Thanks for your reply.  Really appreciate the help.
Sadly it is a 2 piece held together with plastic clips.  I  don’t know if the leaking will hurt the wheel or if it is normal.?

Wheels are made to get wet so thats not a worry.Shimpos been around a long time.The spash pan is to keep you dry and clean. You can throw without one as well-you just will get a bit wetter and dirtier with clay.

Splash pan is for splashes, not for holding water.  Simply put a large tiling sponge in the splash pan and wring it out every time it stops absorbing water.  Eventually you'll use less water and it won't reach the top of the seam, until then the sponge will work fine.

One of my classroom wheels is old Shimpo, and it had the yellow one piece with two drain plugs.  It leaked even with the plugs, and even when I replaced the worn plugs with brand new.  There were cracks around the plug openings. 

I finally replaced the splash pan, because it sustained even more damage, and was overdue.  When I removed the pan, it was heavily rusted underneath the pan.  So what started as a splash pan replacement, ended up being a complete strip and paint job.  It looks pretty sweet, if I do say so myself!

Thank you all so much for your insight!  Just setting up my first studio - I really appreciate your help.  We went with the sponge and it worked great -Knowing I can take it all apart is comforting and  I will no longer worry about the wheel getting wet.  :)

Archived