Bat System for Non-Standard Wheel Head

Hello,

I have an old Shimo RK-2 wheel which was made before the standardization of wheel heads.

I drilled a few masonite bats to fit, but I'd really like to find a bat system (with the removable square bats) that will fit my wheel.

Does anyone know of any? My drilling has been functional but not perfectly centered, so I'd like something that will fit without my having to drill if possible.

~L

You might ask North Star to drill the system for you. They sell the system for the square inserts.

They did custom drilling for my bat orders for MSUB.

We had old shimpos and Brents...two different systems. They drilled them for me for a small cost.

Marcia

Hi,

Why don't you just drill 2 new 10" holes in your wheel head then you can fit all the new bats. it's not hard : just measure twice and cut once!

This is the best way to go-just drill the wheel head and get it standard.

Mark

When you drill the wheel head make sure that you use a tap drill sized for a 1/4" 20 tap and and then tap the holes. That is a 1/4 inch 20 threads per inch. You can go to the hardware store and get a couple of 1/4 - 20 socket head cap screws which will screw into the holes and make your wheel head just like the rest of the new commercial wheel heads. Make sure you use something hard like a nail to punch a dimple in the wheel head before drilling that way your drill won't wander. You can use some masking tape on which to mark the holes and you can center punch right through the tape..

Regards,

Charles

When you drill the wheel head make sure that you use a tap drill sized for a 1/4" 20 tap and and then tap the holes. That is a 1/4 inch 20 threads per inch. You can go to the hardware store and get a couple of 1/4 - 20 socket head cap screws which will screw into the holes and make your wheel head just like the rest of the new commercial wheel heads. Make sure you use something hard like a nail to punch a dimple in the wheel head before drilling that way your drill won't wander. You can use some masking tape on which to mark the holes and you can center punch right through the tape..

Regards,

Charles

I'm sure that what Charles just advised about tap drills, whatever they are, is right on. I just want to add, though, that I, ignorant though I am about using tools, drilled holes in my wheelhead using a masonry bit and an inexpensive portable gadget that holds the drill in place (I forget the name, maybe drill press...). First I centered the bat on the wheel and penciled through the existing holes. I checked it with another bat to make sure they agreed. Then for good measure, I measured the distance between the holes. Rechecked just to be sure, made the dents as he suggested, and the rest was anti-climax!.

Gail

Thanks everyone.

I have a friend who has the right tools (and excellent precision) going to come over and drill the holes for me.

I got the pins at our local Clay Art Center.

~L

Hello,

I have an old Shimo RK-2 wheel which was made before the standardization of wheel heads.

I drilled a few masonite bats to fit, but I'd really like to find a bat system (with the removable square bats) that will fit my wheel.

Does anyone know of any? My drilling has been functional but not perfectly centered, so I'd like something that will fit without my having to drill if possible.

~L

I drilled holes in the head of an old harbor freight wheel I have on loan this weekend:

I just centered a 14" bat on it. Used a clamp to hold it in place. Regular drill, and plain old cheapo bits went right through.

I started with a bit that was a bit too small and stepped it up in size until the pins just fit snuggly.

It was a breeze.

Don't be scared !

• 1 month later...

I drilled holes in the head of an old harbor freight wheel I have on loan this weekend:

I just centered a 14" bat on it. Used a clamp to hold it in place. Regular drill, and plain old cheapo bits went right through.

I started with a bit that was a bit too small and stepped it up in size until the pins just fit snuggly.

It was a breeze.

Don't be scared !

Thanks for this - I also have an older RK-2 and really need to be able to use bats so I can make plates. I am not very experienced with tools, but do have a drill. Will try this tomorrow.

Well, I'm happy to report that I was successful. Used a nail to make a starter dent, then 4 drill bits, gradually increasing in size until I got to 1/4". The bats fit very snugly, that is a good thing. Now, if I just had a kiln, I would be all set. Still have the city studio for that, thankfully.

Archived