Witness cones

Danny

Hello me again.

I have done a few glaze firing test in my kiln, test one reaching 1240, test 2 reaching 1222 and test 3 reaching 1220. But each time the cone 6 witness cones have over fired.

The glazes have came out pretty good and I'm happy with them, afew colours burnt out.

What could I be doing wrong?

How quickly did the temperature rise during the final 1 1/2 - 2 hours? If your elements are getting old and worn the kiln can struggle to get to your target temp therefore the longer time spent getting there can amount to more heatwork and cause overfiring. Also, did you have a soak at the end of the firing? That too will cause more heatwork.

1083c to 1240 was 140mins

1081c to 1220 was 83mins

1100 to 1200 was 60 mins

No I didn't have a soak time, I just let the kiln cool naturally when it reached max temperature 

My partner bought a small electrical muffle kiln new for Christmas, first time firing a kiln myself 

It was near the wall (maybe I should have put it in the centre) my kiln is very small.

To be fair most of the glazes have come out well, with the odd burnt out 

I can't fit any work no bigger than 30cm tall or wide aha 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

1083c to 1240 was 140mins

1081c to 1220 was 83mins

1100 to 1200 was 60 mins

No I didn't have a soak time, I just let the kiln cool naturally when it reached max temperature 

My partner bought a small electrical muffle kiln new for Christmas, first time firing a kiln myself 

Move the cone away from the wall. Dial in a lessor temp as you go  to find it for this kiln. Something is wrong with your segment programs though as they overlap the prior segments so hard to understand what is really going on here. So move the cone and build a program  that is sequential. Make the final segment 1100 - 1200 @ 100c per hour though to start.

Thank you @neilestrick that's something to look  in to. 

@Bill KielbKielb I'm probably doing the programs wrong. 

My last program I tested was

83 mins to reach 104c

278mins to reach 1100c

60mins to reach 1200c 

I'm not very good, the cones overfired but only the odd few glazes burnt out and the others looked good so it's confusing :/ 

I did see a program 

5hrs to 600c- 2hrs50mins to 1222c and hold for 10 mins that I was maybe going to try 

Yes I will move the cones thank you :)

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Thank you @neilestrick that's something to look  in to. 

@Bill KielbKielb I'm probably doing the programs wrong. 

My last program I tested was

83 mins to reach 104c

278mins to reach 1100c

60mins to reach 1200c 

I'm not very good, the cones overfired but only the odd few glazes burnt out and the others looked good so it's confusing :/ 

I did see a program 

5hrs to 600c- 2hrs50mins to 1222c and hold for 10 mins that I was maybe going to try 

Yes I will move the cones thank you :)

Here is a popular one you can try (Been used for decades)

1. 60c/hr. To  120c

2. 200c/hr To 1080c

3. 100c/ hr To 1220c

I am not sure what the hold at the end is doing but at this point only It’s helping to overfire this. So for now, no hold at the top until we really have a reason for it.

I will give this one a try later on today, hopefully the cones will look abit better and I can adjust from there :)

This may be a silly question, but if the cone 6 pyrometric cone bent fully (overfired) does that mean the work went to a cone 7? I only put 4,5,6 pyrometric cones in because that was recommended before.

@liambesaw it's very interesting, think it's going to be afew trial and errors my way until I get the perfect cone 6

If I followed the temperature schedule and the max temperature was 1220c and the cones overfired, do I  only drop the max temperature and keep the rest of the segments the same? 

I'm a newbie so sorry for all these questions 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

@liambesaw it's very interesting, think it's going to be afew trial and errors my way until I get the perfect cone 6

If I followed the temperature schedule and the max temperature was 1220c and the cones overfired, do I  only drop the max temperature and keep the rest of the segments the same? 

I'm a newbie so sorry for all these questions 

We still aren’t sure about your schedule with the overlaps in them so  if you enter the schedule above and don’t have your cone right next to an element / sidewall and it still over fires meaning it flattens cone 6 reduce the final temp a few degrees at a time until you get a perfect cone six. Convention for using cone packs is Guide, Firing, Guard 5,6,7................. 5 for guide  - 6 for firing or you target - and 7 as your guard.

Folks who view the cones (with proper IR eye protection) watch their cones and as the guide  bends they view more frequently until the firing cone bends and nearly touches,  then they shut off their kiln. When their kilns are large and store lots of heat, they may find the cone 7 starts to fall in which case their next firing they may turn off their kiln when cone six is 3/4 down or earlier to account for the stored heat. It’s all a learning experience for the particular kiln.

No holds at the top until you have a reason and you are not overfiring.

Your margin of error is so small with that kiln, you might consider adjusting materials to the kiln, rather than adjusting the kiln (which is impossible imo) to the materials.

The "burn out" sounds more like a glaze application that is too thin. 

Do you have room for cones 5 and 7?

Sorce

Hello yes I have room for cones 5 and 7, at the moment I have only been putting in cones 4,5 and 6 because that was recommended to me before hand. My kiln only reaches max temperature of 1240c.

It's just confusing because has I said in previous comments majority of the glazes have came out has expected and I'm happy with them, the odd few burnt out (possible because I didn't apply some thick) and the cones are overfired.

Perfection of clay and glaze doesn't always, if ever, like up perfectly with a cone.

The fact that you are getting good results in that little guy is a feat itself! I am impressed! 

Bravo!

But.....pics or I don't believe it! Hehe!

Sorce

Archived