Gearbox help for an old Amaco 1-101

I purchased an old two speed amaco wheel a few years ago and both speeds were WAY too fast. we replaced the motor with a variable speed motor and attached a pedal, but since the new motor has fewer RPM the wheel head is now going way too slow to throw anything. Does anyone have a suggestion on changing a gear in the gearbox or am I kind of SOL and going to have to get another different variable speed motor with more RPM like the original motor. Also if anyone has a manual for this model or knows where I can get one, that would be helpful. 

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Michaela,

Kudos on motor replacement and adding a foot control!

I don't have a suggestion on the gearbox - not finding any detail on the gearing. There is a 1-101 on eBay right now; they're asking a Lot of $ (imo).

The original motor is AC? Varying the speed on that wouldn't be trivial. Good luck!

Hulk,

Yes my original motor was AC. That wheel on eBay is the exact same wheel that I have but there's no way someone is going to pay $2000 for it.  With my wheel I'm kind of at a loss, do I potentially destroy it by opening u other gear box and try to switch out some gears ( my dad would help and he has minimal knowledge about it but he was able to rewire a motor so he might be able to get it done) or do I deal with a super slow wheel or just fork up $1200 for a new one with a warranty? I am just unsure how to proceed.

Ok since you are  the only one who may have done this conversion-here is some ideas

1st do you know the rpm of the ac motor you took out?

next can you find out about that gearbox and the gear ratio from Amaco (still in business-call them)Get the motor and gearbox info from them.

with these two facts you can figure from your new motor as you know its RPM what gearbox you may need or what the ratio is for making it go faster. I think changing that gearbox  internally will be hard but a new gearbox from a supplier like Graingers is a easy fix.

This wheel sounds like you have alot of $$ into it already so see what that new gearbox will cost.

Keep in mind all modern wheels do not use gear boxes anymore -its belts and pulleys - for that rpm exchange -small pulley on motor large on wheelhead shaft-is that an option with your new motor and foot pedal?and foget the gearbox?

to some degree you are reinventing the wheel so decieding how much more $ to throw at it is really up to you.

Mark, 

The original motor RPM is 1725/1140 and the new motor is 1075. Any idea on what kind of gear box I should order? Do I just do some simple math to figure out the proper ratio for a new gearbox? Thank you for the excellent advice too! I hadn't thought of that :)

Gearbox ratios come in all types-I never have used one so you would need to figure that out.

Why not call Amaco and find out what that gearbox is (they may still have records of that) then you have a starting point as you know its not fast enough.

Also get the right shaft sizes one that gearbox as well.

My thought is you want a gearbox for the higher speeds as the lower ones you can skow the motor down with your foot pedal.

And yes once you know the Amaco specs, simple math will tell you which direction to go. Your new motor is a bit slow (1075) so you need one that will mimic a modern wheel. While you are on the phone with Amaco ask them whats the high speed max  RPM of a newer wheel-then you want a box that does that rpm and  the lower speeds are from your foot pedal adjustment if that makes sense.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:13 PM, Michaela C said:

Mark, 

The original motor RPM is 1725/1140 and the new motor is 1075. Any idea on what kind of gear box I should order? Do I just do some simple math to figure out the proper ratio for a new gearbox? Thank you for the excellent advice too! I hadn't thought of that :)

You can count the original gearbox ratio pretty easily, bump that up with the original RPM of the motor and you will have an understanding of the torque multiplication the thing was designed for which would lead you to a better idea of replacing it. Seems like a bit of work to me though for an old wheel. Speed control with constant torque for newer wheels is pretty nice to have.

I think figuring in the cost of your foot pedal and new motor and maybe a  gear box I'm thinking a new wheel may have been cheaper ?Or at least a better design as no mater what this will always be a gear box driven model.

You need to decide  on how much to throw at this old wheel $ wise

My guess is you are in so much now you want it not to be waste of $ 

Mark,

I was able to get a 1/3hp motor for about$150 and I used an industrial sewing machine pedal so that was only about $50 so depending on how much the gear box is I probably could have nearly paid for a new wheel because I paid $200 or $250. So at this point I might as well look for a new gear box and see what it costs.  I just invested in a new Brent wheel because I'm going to start teaching one on one classes so hopefully I'll have two working wheels if I ever get the amaco one fixed.

let us know the outcome of the Amaco repair. Brents are a solid wheel-my favorite.

On another note the Brest wheels go from 0-240 RPM so thats the range you want to shoot for with the amaco

Edited by Mark C.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My wife has two of these and both wheels have now stopped moving. The motor hums but the top wheel just sits there. Do these need lubrication? Can they be lubricated? When it is said that it is direct drive what does that mean? What are the mechanics between the motor and the wheel. Thanks for your help and time! A potter needs her wheel.