Stamping with an underglaze

DMCosta

Hi Everyone so I have a stamp with my new logo on it and I want to stamp the logo onto the bases of my tableware pieces using underglaze. My intent is not to have the stamp make an impression in the clay, rather a surface decoration.

So here's my question...if I stamp the pieces after the bisque with the underglaze do you think it'll hold up for wear and tear? I never use underglazes on bisqued wares but I know they technically can be used. The pieces are currently bone dry and I may not want to risk stamping the bases now with underglaze in their fragile stage. 

Thanks! 

24 minutes ago, DMCosta said:

Hi Everyone so I have a stamp with my new logo on it and I want to stamp the logo onto the bases of my tableware pieces using underglaze. My intent is not to have the stamp make an impression in the clay, rather a surface decoration.

So here's my question...if I stamp the pieces after the bisque with the underglaze do you think it'll hold up for wear and tear? I never use underglazes on bisqued wares but I know they technically can be used. The pieces are currently bone dry and I may not want to risk stamping the bases now with underglaze in their fragile stage. 

Thanks! 

So to answer your question stamping it after bisque is fine and it ends up very sturdy after firing. It is harder to stamp the bisque though and your stamped result may not be as smooth as in greenware.

PS: we often clear glaze the bottom of out pots so in that case it is super sturdy, regardless.

33 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

So to answer your question stamping it after bisque is fine and it ends up very sturdy after firing. It is harder to stamp the bisque though and your stamped result may not be as smooth as in greenware.

PS: we often clear glaze the bottom of out pots so in that case it is super sturdy, regardless.

Ok thanks for the advice. Some of my pieces such as my slab built plates don't have a foot on them so clear glazing over the underglazed stamp could be tough. 

5 hours ago, DMCosta said:

Thanks! 

I have used underglaze and stamps on bisque with and without clear glaze.  It does hold up quite well.  You can make your own underglaze stamp pad with a sponge.  Brush some underglaze on the sponge and TADA! you have an underglaze stamp pad.  You can wash it out or put it in a plastic bag or container to save for the next time.  I fire to cone 6

Roberta

3 hours ago, Min said:

I did this for years using a rubber stamp and the Minnesota Underglaze Stamping Pad, firing to cone 6, holds up fine after years of use. I usually stamped on greenware so if I smudged it I could easily redo it but it works on bisque to, you just have to sand it off if you mess it up. I didn't glaze over it. 

Ow that's good to know - I bought those same exact Minnesota Stamping Pads and that's what I intend to use. 

Archived