Clay suppliers near New York

Hello guys, I'm really new to this forum so I don't know if this is the correct place for the question. I live if Long island New York and I'm having trouble finding a ceramic supply store near this area either that I can drive there and pick up clay or glazes or have them shipped to me at a reasonable price (I saw some suppliers that charge almost double the price of clay in shipping). Thank you for your help.

Best regards

58 minutes ago, Kevinr1897 said:

Hello guys, I'm really new to this forum so I don't know if this is the correct place for the question. I live if Long island New York and I'm having trouble finding a ceramic supply store near this area either that I can drive there and pick up clay or glazes or have them shipped to me at a reasonable price (I saw some suppliers that charge almost double the price of clay in shipping). Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Clay is heavy-best shipped by truck in large quainties or in small 50# boxes via flat fee large boxes USPS-that cost is just under $20 for a box that holds 50# of clay

not much inbetween

also most ceramic places are closed down due to covid but may reopen soon as some states want to get back to dieing in bigger numbers soon.

welcome to the forum 

Mark

there are a number of suppliers nearer you.   kingston, new york is the home of Bailey ceramic supply.   they have nearly everything you could want.   Sheffield is in Massachusetts.   there are others, just enter  ceramic supply near your zipcode and search.

Every supplier ships differently -some do not use the USPS they only ship fed ground for example some UPS. Shipping clay is just not cost effective. Many places do not ship at all. Not all things are a click away. In ceramics I have found that its really best to go yourself to a supplier and get the heavy stuff. Finding a supplier who is open (in covid times) is your best option-there must be a few as you are in the heart of a really big population. I think Bailey is closed down  but the online store is still open now but there must be others around as well.

I live where clay was about a 12 hour round trip away-until about 10 years ago  when a shop opened up nearby. I am a large clay  user and always had it trucked in in huge quantities .Now I'm a distributor for Laguna but am only reselling larger amounts to local potters who have all but died off. laguna is closed down now as non-essential  as are many ceramic businesses . 

Buying materials online that are heavy is just a bad idea I feel. Find out whats open and go get it. This may be very tough right now due to the world conditions  or pay up and spend a large sum to ship it.

No magic bullet from me

what kind of clay are you looking for cone 6-low fire or high fire?

Hi I also live on Long Island in and I get my clay from Ceramic Supply in Lodi, NJ. They do truck deliveries once a week to LI if you order a minimum of I believe $200 worth of clay with small or no delivery fee. If you want less clay you can order ahead and pick it up at their warehouse in Lodi which is actually also an amazing retail store. Maybe just call to be sure they're operating as usual given the pandemic. I did get a recent delivery from them but it was a month ago. Good luck! 

ttps://ceramic-supply-inc.myshopify.com/

Hello everyone 

Thank you very much for all your information and links. I started heavily researching all the clay suppliers here in NY and I think I have a good idea about prices and distance. Now, what I see the most is standard ceramics clay and I would like to use some of their products but a need a recommendation. My idea is to start doing pottery a little bit more siriusly and hopefully start a small business so I'm mainly looking to use to types of clay: a white one for marbled work  maybe Bmix 5 from Laguna and also I want a buff stoneware just for general production such as mugs and bowls, what will it be a good, plastic, all purpose clay fro throwing and small hand building, I looked at standard 553 but is there better options ?

Archived