Glaze Large Christmas Trees

Wife and I are new to owning business in the ceramic hobby and we plan to have several trees ready by the time the holiday rolls around. Is there  a quick way to paint or glaze the tree?. Spray paint or dip? or is it best to get the brushes ready and get busy? Thanks 

45 minutes ago, Carlton said:

Wife and I are new to owning business in the ceramic hobby and we plan to have several trees ready by the time the holiday rolls around. Is there  a quick way to paint or glaze the tree?. Spray paint or dip? or is it best to get the brushes ready and get busy? Thanks 

If they fit in a 5 gallon bucket, I'd dip.  Otherwise I'd spray.

9 minutes ago, Carlton said:

Thank you, we will have to find a sprayer for this application because the details on this tree makes it very time consuming to brush on glaze :) 

Look for an HVLP sprayer. It stand for high volume, low pressure.  I use a cambell hausfield one from Amazon, but a lot of people like one called a "critter" sprayer

carlton, if you are looking for simplicity, try a simple siphon glaze sprayer.   EZE is a very simple brand but their bottles are awful.   i have a friend who uses peanut butter jars instead.  he took the plastic cap off the eze and replaced it with one from a peanut butter jar.   if you don't eat peanut butter some other kind will work.  they are about $30 and wash with a simple rinsing of the entire spray gun.   there are a thousand tiny parts to clean with an HVLP  so if you get one, hold it over your sieve when you take it apart so they do not go down the drain.

'do you have the kind of shelves that fit around the top of the tree so you can take advantage of that usually empty space for ornaments?

Pieces with a lot of large detail areas like trees I often will dip in a thinned plain glaze, and then spray. If you use the sprayer creatively spraying from one angle, while on a banding wheel spinning, and then from the opposite angle you can get really nice effects on the work that highlight the 3D surface.

best,

Pres

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

carlton, if you are looking for simplicity, try a simple siphon glaze sprayer.   EZE is a very simple brand but their bottles are awful.   i have a friend who uses peanut butter jars instead.  he took the plastic cap off the eze and replaced it with one from a peanut butter jar.   if you don't eat peanut butter some other kind will work.  they are about $30 and wash with a simple rinsing of the entire spray gun.   there are a thousand tiny parts to clean with an HVLP  so if you get one, hold it over your sieve when you take it apart so they do not go down the drain.

'do you have the kind of shelves that fit around the top of the tree so you can take advantage of that usually empty space for ornaments?

Only some hvlp guns are like that, mine doesn't have any small pieces that come off to clean, I just run a hopper full of water through it afterwards to clean it :)

Archived