Forerunner to Leach beer tankard

I've recently made some beer tankards with the idea of 'traditional English tankard' in mind. They look fairly similar to the Leach tankard style, perhaps because I've been a fan of their pottery, and Simon Leach YouTube channel. 

I was wondering if Bernard leach invented the style - I guess it was based on previous designs he had used. I've done a quick Google on the topic and haven't found much apart from Wikipedia. 

Does anyone know of any good history articles / books on ceramic tankards? 

I would feel better making them if I'm carrying on a long English traditional method rather than just nicking someone else's idea! 

1. Crawly tankard - Lawson Park

The tankard is an example of Leach’s most successful fusion between the English and Japanese folk traditions, a traditional English form married with a traditional Japanese glaze. There are other versions in the Collection from Winchcombe, Robert Welch, Holkham and Keith Murray, in fact most of A mug's history of design’s category makes reference to the English medieval tankard ."

It sounds to me like Leach's form is traditional and the Japanese glazes were his innovation. In that case, no, you are not stealing his form.

You might also take a look at German salt fired ware, and Bellarmines. The word stein is German, so it's likely the English folk pottery tradition borrowed the form (surprise). I doubt strongly that Leach or anyone else has a monopoly on the item. I've made some similar mugs that are glazed very differently. 

• 1 month later...

These are the times that cause us to do things because we must.

Before this, I was talking with the kids about the circumstances that make humans do things, evolve.

A few days ago I heard someone say everything tastes better in a wine glass.

Yesterday I thought, how much time humans have had on their hands throughout history, to come up with a certain shape glass for drinking different things.

A martini for example ....

Was there trial and error before deciding the shape?

Who was disgusted with a different degree of slope to the side?

Who decided? Yes, Martini glass shape.

Kinda ridiculous when all we need to live is to dunk our noggins in a river and suck!

Oh....

Beer Tankards?

Why are they the shape they are?

More importantly, beer was consumed warm when that style was invented, maybe there is a better shape for cold beer?

Sorce

Archived