First bisque firing suggestions

Hello...I'm new to this forum. I've been creating with clay for 5 years at a communal studio. Just purchased my first kiln (L&L) and need some advice/recommendations. I was thinking of doing my first bisque firing as follows: Two-hour pre-heat, cone 05 with no ramps but 5 min hold at top. Does this sound right? I'm using a Cone 6 clay and the pieces are very dry but I've read that a pre-heat can't hurt. Should I ramp along the way? Should I hold more (or at all) at top? Should I program cool-down? The manual isn't very helpful on the specifics even though it's about two inches thick! Thanks, in advance.

Welcome, and congratulations on your new kiln!

Unless you’re working with a really dark clay that has lots of gross things to burn off, ramps and holds aren’t necessary for the bisque. I personally don’t usually do a preheat, but I also live in a very dry area. If aren’t sure if your green ware is totally dry; you’re right, an hour or two below 100 C and a normal, slow firing cycle after that should be fine. 

2 hours ago, East End said:

Hello...I'm new to this forum. I've been creating with clay for 5 years at a communal studio. Just purchased my first kiln (L&L) and need some advice/recommendations. I was thinking of doing my first bisque firing as follows: Two-hour pre-heat, cone 05 with no ramps but 5 min hold at top. Does this sound right? I'm using a Cone 6 clay and the pieces are very dry but I've read that a pre-heat can't hurt. Should I ramp along the way? Should I hold more (or at all) at top? Should I program cool-down? The manual isn't very helpful on the specifics even though it's about two inches thick! Thanks, in advance.

To be clear on terminology, a ramp is the rate of climb to a target temp, so you can't fire without any ramps. The pre-programmed 'Fast Bisque' setting works great for most work. If you have thick pieces or very dark clay you may want to use the 'Slow Bisque'. A preheat won't hurt, but if things are dry I would only do about 30 minutes. Remember that it's going to take about 2 hours to get to 200F before it starts the preheat time, so you're getting some drying there already. No reason for a hold at the top for bisque.

5 hours ago, East End said:

Should I program cool-down?

For bisque, nope. (cavet to this would be if the pieces are enormously thick and thin sculpture pieces then you might want to slow the cooling)

edit: congrats on your new L&L kiln! Wish they were available in Canada! 

I am using all the pre-programmed settings on my L&L Easy Fire and have never once had anything go off track. I'm not in a position (some cognitive deficits) to fiddle much with math/science etc. and the fact that I can rely on my kiln to do its thing consistently (it is not old or worn) is a blessing. By using a highlighter and some stick-out tabs I can easily look up whatever program settings I need and follow along on the programmer. 

Archived