Making glaze from your urine

Liam V

THAT'S DISGUSTING!  Urine should not be used in glaze, but instead, just swished around in the mouth, as a teeth whitener like nature intended!

Seriously though, my High School Art Teacher told us stories of he, or at least people he knew in College, who would urinate on their Raku pots, after pulling them out.  

Did this actually happen?  Who knows?  Myy Teacher had stories for days, and at the very least, they were entertaining.

I found another article about that and she collected 280 liters or urine over 5 months from 5 people. It looks like she only made about half a dozen pots. I get that this seems 'shocking' and bizarre and that's why it's all over the internet, but all she's doing is collecting minerals. It's no different than the guy that made a glaze from cosmetics and medicines from Walgreens, and it's not going to close any mines. Good to see people being creative, though.

I just saw a segment of a program called "Factory Made" which said that in making colorants for oil paints, cows urine was used for the yellow pigment...I would think that it might be possible to reduce the urine to get the yellow and possibly use it like a Mason stain...The problem with the paint was that it smelled like urine when it was used...probably why they went to other materials like praseodymium for the yellow these days...not so smelly!

Archived