Aim Ceramic Kiln Model K-10 Sitter Kiln _ No manual

Mud_Ely

Hello,

I just came upon a medium size kiln. It was free, came with no manual or use instructions.

I am a first time kiln user so I don't want to do anything without more information on this specific kiln. 

It is a very old Aim Ceramic Kiln with a sitter, Model K-10. 

Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on this particular kiln? 

Thank you

All manual kilns work about the same. The general firing schedule people use is 1 hour on low, 1 hour on medium, then high till the sitter shuts it off. Follow the same schedule every time, and set the timer for about 1/2 hour longer than you expect the firing to take. Do some searching on the forum and you'll find a lot of info on firing manual kilns.

25 minutes ago, Mud_Ely said:

Hello,

I just came upon a medium size kiln. It was free, came with no manual or use instructions.

I am a first time kiln user so I don't want to do anything without more information on this specific kiln. 

It is a very old Aim Ceramic Kiln with a sitter, Model K-10. 

Is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on this particular kiln? 

Thank you

They are still on the web. I would suggest downloading their manuals it’s a good start in the right direction.

https://www.aimkiln.com/manuals

Best advice I can give, is not regarding any particular kiln, but this applies to all kilns.

Make certain that whatever you plug/wire it into is up to the job. 

I bought a "plug-in" kiln, and plugged it in to an extension lead, that was itself plugged into another in the garage, that was connected via a cable (installed by the original house-builders) into the fuse board.  After a few firings, the plug wouldn't un-plug.  It had melted to the socket.  Needless to say, I now have a permanent socket on the house wall - wired direct to the fuse-board, and a heavy duty cable that is hard-wired to the kiln.  One socket/plug connection, and all wiring is suitable for the "electrical" size of the kiln.  Can you tell I don't know a lot about electrics,  hence I employed an electrician.

Archived