Genesis Kiln Controller

Brandon Franks

41 minutes ago, Brandon Franks said:

Hey,

Anyone have the Genesis kiln controller, just got one at Bailey for $168, seemed like a great deal.

How does the WiFi function work, that's what I am primarily interested in. 

Thanks,

Brandon 

The WiFi is used to push upgrades to the controller and also with the kilnAid App.  You will need a Bartlett account.
Kiln Aide app video:

3 hours ago, Brandon Franks said:

Thanks. By any chance, do you know how long the instal is? Can't find any videos on it, but will keep looking.

Brandon

Case 1
If you are swapping it with an existing Bartlett V6cf which is common on many kilns then it is very likely the exact same circuit board  And foot print, but has a touch screen display and additional functions. If that is the case it’s basically a wire for wire transfer and direct bolt in type retrofit.

Case 2

If you currently have a manual kiln then you will need to add relays and a transformer etc.... we gave @liambesaw an idea or two and he retrofitted his own manual kiln fairly easily.

sorry I could not find any videos, what kiln and control do you presently have, maybe a picture would help.

Based on the price, I'm assuming this is an upgrade to an existing controller, so the swap should only take a few minutes. Remove the screws holding in the old controller, gently pull it out and then either swap the wires one at a time to the new controller, or label the wires with tape before removing them all and installing the new controller. If you use tape, remove all the tape when you're done.

That's a very good price for the Genesis controller, I wonder why they are selling them for half the price Bartlett sells them - unless as @neilestrick suggested, that is the upgrade price if you want a Genesis instead of the standard version on a new kiln you are buying from them. If you are getting one raw, as @Bill Kielb and Neil said, it is a direct swap for the Bartlett V6CF or L&L Dynatrol (which is their private label on the V6CF). The wires will be the same except the thermocouple terminal has been moved from the left side (facing the back of the board) to the bottom of the board. It will not fit on a Skutt, as their version of the Bartlett product has a larger face. If you are building from scratch for a manual kiln conversion, that will take more parts as Bill mentioned. I have built 4 so far for manual kilns, not hard. Will require some minor sheet metal work, a specific transformer, relays, and high temperature wire. Let us know what additional help you need.

As for the WiFi, in addition to the firmware push and KilnAid app for monitoring status on your smartphone, it is necessary for the internal logging of firing data (it needs the WiFi connection to know the current date) and for transferring the logged data to your computer for subsequent analysis. The operation of the WiFi is simple - it must be within range of your existing WiFi network. My kilns are on the other side of a brick wall that blocked the signal until I installed a repeater. Note that the WiFi-to-smartphone interface is strictly read-only. You cannot control the kiln in any way, just get current status. On this aspect, the status data runs through the Bartlett cloud server so you can monitor it from anywhere your phone has cell service.

14 minutes ago, Min said:

What Neil said seems to be it. It looks like it's the  price to upgrade a new kiln bought from Bailey to a Genesis controller, maybe not for a replacement controller?

edit: @Brandon Franks, were you able to purchase it as is without a new kiln?

https://www.baileypottery.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Genesis

What she said in the edit. If you got one raw at that price, I will order 2, as that is cheaper than the dumb 3 button model.

2 hours ago, Dick White said:

What she said in the edit. If you got one raw at that price, I will order 2, as that is cheaper than the dumb 3 button model.

They emailed me this morning, that price is only available if you got the kiln within the past 30 days.

I just ordered one from The Ceramic Shop, a bit under $300.

3 hours ago, Min said:

What Neil said seems to be it. It looks like it's the  price to upgrade a new kiln bought from Bailey to a Genesis controller, maybe not for a replacement controller?

edit: @Brandon Franks, were you able to purchase it as is without a new kiln?

https://www.baileypottery.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Genesis

They emailed me this morning, that price is only available if you got the kiln within the past 30 days.

I just ordered one from The Ceramic Shop, a bit under $300.

8 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Case 1
If you are swapping it with an existing Bartlett V6cf which is common on many kilns then it is very likely the exact same circuit board  And foot print, but has a touch screen display and additional functions. If that is the case it’s basically a wire for wire transfer and direct bolt in type retrofit.

Case 2

If you currently have a manual kiln then you will need to add relays and a transformer etc.... we gave @liambesaw an idea or two and he retrofitted his own manual kiln fairly easily.

sorry I could not find any videos, what kiln and control do you presently have, maybe a picture would help.

I will be upgrading, the first option.

Thanks for the help,

Brandon

Archived