Glaze ingredients to get this green

DBPottery

I have some base glazes I plan to use to make this green in the pic attached. I wanted to see if anyone may have some input on what colorants to use? My best guess is chrome is needed for this green along with an opacifier (tin, titanium dioxide, zicropax). The black specks are from the clay. 

Thanks for your input,

Dan

IMG_0953.jpg

Almost looks like it was done with underglaze actually and sprayed with clear. What are the two irregular humps in the front? Can you post a  Close up picture.

I think if I was replicating I would find my shade of green underglaze add  dark spots to the raw clay with black and flicking a toothbrush of it, spray green, flick some more maybe, spray more green, etc..... till I got my look then spray clear. If there is a different color liner I could fill and pour that off first and my overspray would be minimal so no special masking.

If it’s a glaze, maybe celedon but it certainly doesn’t break dramatically.

Some pictures below : clear over ombré underglaze,  Matte clear over spotted accents, and celadon over black underglaze  design  (Celedon made with mason stain and high gloss clear to desired color)

7EBF65C5-C5E5-48FA-AE94-84CEB9A198FF.jpeg.6decabfad17449ee37812ca118e6a8cb.jpeg3A066F0A-9DDC-45B3-8E8F-87283B7C66B5.jpeg.3d2c252dc96cf4f1859bcbfbd088a405.jpeg395CDA4F-D17D-4BA0-A55B-C95D1796BC37.jpeg.61c06aa3b15cca7bee3d51c6319c5118.jpeg

I'm not sure what the two humps are... I looked at it again and I don't see them. Maybe something from the light/angle/camera?

That is a glaze. It's a glaze I  bought from a pottery store that is no longer in business. I applied it to that pot. I don't care about the manganese specks from the clay. Clays with manganese have actually been giving me more trouble them I want to deal with... Now that I make all my own glazes I'm trying to replicate it that green color.

Looks more green where the glaze is thicker, perhaps copper carbonate, if any chrome, just a smidge?

I've added "Rutile Green" to my palette (from Bill Van Gilder's book), four percent copper carbonate, six percent rutile; the colour is similar to your pic. I did add a dash of chrome oxide, which brightens the green just a bit.

Definitely not underglaze. It's a glaze over a speckled brown if it's cone 6, on brown stoneware if it's cone 10 reduction. I've got a glaze that's similar, and it's colored with copper and rutile, which would give you the little bit of crystals and iridescence that's showing up in the thicker areas.

Agree that it looks like a copper glaze with some titania, either from rutile or titanium dioxide, plus a tiny bit of iron to take the edge off the copper if used on a white or light body but maybe not necessary over a tan/brown body.

Archived