clay on baking spray ?

Leila

Hi,

Here it goes :

I sprayed baking spray on the desk - build a slab which I rolled in all directions, turning it upside down and vice versa.

There are, though,  several concavities on it , where the  slab is not  thick enough...

If I fill the places, where the slab is too thin, in the usual slab building technique, would it work? 

Or would it wreck havoc ?

Will the clay build up normally on the baking spray?   It is, well - oily ....

Or else...  how do I repair this unevenness ?

And what about the clay I have cut from the slab (with baking spray on both sides)? 

Could I reuse it just as if the baking spray wasn't there,  like normal clay ?  Or how do I bring it back to normal ?

Tell me where is fancy bred ?

40 minutes ago, Leila said:

Hi,

Here it goes :

I sprayed baking spray on the desk - build a slab which I rolled in all directions, turning it upside down and vice versa.

There are, though,  several concavities on it , where the  slab is not  thick enough...

If I fill the places, where the slab is too thin, in the usual slab building technique, would it work?    PROBABLY NOT

Or would it wreck havoc ?  I don't think "havoc" would be the word to use here..."messy" might be better

Will the clay build up normally on the baking spray?   It is, well - oily … Probably not...if it was just water, that would be OK

Or else...  how do I repair this unevenness ? Start with a new slab and use thickness rails to roll the clay out evenly

And what about the clay I have cut from the slab (with baking spray on both sides)? That clay should be usable unless you plan on joining pieces...that may be a problem

Could I reuse it just as if the baking spray wasn't there,  like normal clay ?  Or how do I bring it back to normal ? I don't know that there is a way to bring it back to "normal"... In the future you might try rolling the slab out on a piece of canvas or a piece of a sheet instead of a layer of oil...reserve the oily process for rolling out pizza dough...;)

Tell me where is fancy bred ?

Welcome to the forum Leila!

Try slip and scoring it well and patching it with fresh clay, nothing to loose by trying. Lots of people use Pam or a similar veg spray on metal molds. If you do have to recycle the clay it will be fine.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks a lot !

I will make  an experiment and post it.  

The pieces I cut,  I will knead and make pieces for glaze trials.  I read everywhere about the use of cooking spray as mould release, and thought 

this problem  has  found  its solution a long time ago...

Have  a nice day !

14 hours ago, oldlady said:

read the contents on the spray can.   i know lots of people who use that stuff and do nothing special to the clay to reuse it.

what does your last sentence mean?

That's from a poem, "Tell me where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the head", but  I can't remember the rest of it or who wrote it.   Obviously they were talking about making pottery....

Archived