Significant kiln lid gap

JessME19

I was able to purchase an older but in good condition kiln for a great price from an acquaintance. After awhile started having an issue with dust falling onto my pieces (I fuse glass) from some gouges in the fire brick. My dad, a retired carpenter, decided to "surprise" me with his "help" and sanded down the top rim to get rid of the gouges without telling me first. There is now a gap and the lid does not fit together. The rim was sanded down between 1/8-1/4 inch (not even). I would say most of the lid has a 1/4 in gap, possibly a bit more in a few spots. I don't have the money to buy a new kiln. I had just fixed the heating coil and gotten the kiln firing at a reasonable rate and now it looses a ton of heat. 

Can this be fixed in a reasonably affordable way?

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

You can drop the lid down, or put some thin fiber blanket on the top of the rim.

At the risk of sounding hugely ignorant, how would I drop the lid down? This is my first big top loading kiln, previously I had a small one that opened from the side door. I don't have a manual for it. Thanks for your reply :)

Did he sand it evenly all the way around? If so, then yes, you'll need to adjust the hinge to bring is down so it sits correctly. If he did not sand it evenly, then your first job will be to even it out, and then adjust the hinge. Many hinges are not adjustable, and you probably won't be moving it far enough to be able to remount it without hitting the old screw holes, so instead you'll have to loosen up the metal band that goes around the kiln (body band) and slide the whole band down.

Your other option is to flip the lid over, if the top is in decent condition. Just unscrew it from the hinge, flip it, and screw it back on. You may need to rotate it and make fresh screw holes.

May I ask, which make and model kiln do you have? Many hinges allow for the inevitable adjustment and even some are self compensating within a reasonable degree of tolerance. Depending upon your make and model there are you tube videos. as well. If you can attach some pics of your lid and hinge assembly this may turn out to be a simple task.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:19 PM, JessME19 said:

Can this be fixed in a reasonably affordable way?

Fibre blanket will be the easiest.  My (UK) kiln came with a layer on the top of the bricks.  I replaced it with a slightly thicker layer as it was in poor condition.  It does stop me from leaning on the kiln while loading tho'.

Archived