repair cuts / scratches in china and pottery

lady

I am fond of my good china (Lenox) and every day (Sonoma, Oatmeal) and have lots of service pieces. Over the years it has some cuts and scratches as well as the Sonoma has crazing in the glaze.  Is there any remedy I can do at home? I read about cold glaze,  baking in the oven. But have not found specific directions if it will work on my dishware. ?

Thank you Neil. I actually thought of that and put an ad on Nextdoor.com to see if any one had a kiln or where I could have it done. No one answered. I know the cone - 4 to be refired.  The price of replacement pieces for my pattern ( so many service pieces that are fine)  dictate that it would be economically feasible to refire them. Maybe I should buy a kiln!!! I  tried one patterned piece years ago.  just to try. Awful, it ran and faded not usable.  I will seek a place to refire one piece. (Sarasota FL)  Thanks

• 1 year later...

I would be very interested to know how the re-firing went. If there are chipped places might you think of applying new glaze to the damaged area? I have occasionally tried repairing broken china by 'glueing' with glaze, propping the piece in the kiln so that gravity holds the assembly together, and firing. I would appreciate any advice on refining this process.

Andrew.

Hi @Andrew engineer

It looks like the OP hasn’t been back to the forum since she made that last post 2 years ago. (You can click on someone’s bio to see when someone last checked in.)

I would venture that adding any new glaze to a piece of unknown providence is going to prove a crap shoot at best. If you don’t know what the original glaze chemistry was, or the original firing range, you’d need to do some testing to figure that out first. 

Archived