New to ceramics

Hi Tracey and welcome to the forum.

Depends where you live and what your budget is. There is a new section at the bottom of this forum with listings of studio equipment for sale, Craigslist (if it's available where you live), bricks and mortar ceramic shops, and online shopping from ceramic suppliers. Are you looking for a wheel, kiln, trimming tools .....?

hello, tracey and welcome!

can you explain a little more about what you want to achieve?   do you plan to work on the wheel or maybe do sculpture or make something in your hands alone?   what experience do you have in learning about making pottery?   do you exclusively use the internet or do you visit your local library?   are you in an area where pottery classes are being offered in the type of work you plan to do?  are you a new student somewhere and want to start out on your own now?

the field is so broad that your questions will be answered more readily if you can narrow down what you want to know.

You can figure out what direction you want to go with clay by taking several community classes.   You may decide to be a hand builder and not need to invest in a wheel.  I bought a used wheel recently from a man who decided to go into ceramics.    He struggled with throwing so decided to take a class,  it takes two or three classes to get the hang of it and he gave up after the first class.  I don't know how much money he lost on the wheel,  I paid $300 for it.   He told me he had bought it used and had just put a $400 motor in it,    Denice

Archived