Need advise on buying Crest LT 3K

Hi, I’m looking to buy a small kiln for my home projects. I found one on Craigslist and would like an advise on the condition. I see some cracks on the floor. Will it be an issue? Can I fix them? I’m a hobby pottery begginer, so I though would be a good idea start with something small and then move to larger projects. I’m not sure if I can post a link to the post with photos or should I upload them somewhere and post the photos? Also does 300$ seem fair for this kiln? Thanks in advance! 

Crest Kiln

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/art/d/concord-crest-kiln/6898699005.html

Lt3k is the model of the kiln sitter, not the kiln.  It looks like it's in pretty rough shape, the floor is cracked pretty awfully, might be able to get it home but I wouldn't count on it.  I wouldn't pay 350 for it though, maybe 75 bucks.  

Find out the model of kiln, get a shot of the name plate, at that size and voltage id be worried it's a china paint kiln, but you'd never know until you can see the wattage or model #

Crest makes toothpaste, Cress makes kilns. Looks like it’s missing one blade of the plug but maybe just the angle of the picture. I would think hard about this for the money as it likely needs elements and some TLC.  The description does not give me great confidence either, maybe shop around to be sure.

Just my opinion though

Thank you so much for the input!

I wasn’t sure what I’m looking for. I googled the information, but there is not much. I also checked the FB Group for selling/buying and it seems to be closed now. I’ll keep looking, thank you.

(btw it was my phone correcting the brand to Crest, it seems it doesn’t know much about the pottery yet)

I think the reference from Craig’s list has Crest all over it. Not you. The description says it their little baby and a great kiln but my reading got the impression of whoever posted it never fired a pot in their life. I could be wrong though.

• 11 months later...
39 minutes ago, CindyLouWho said:

I am glad to find this thread of info, as I am in search of purchasing my first home kiln and found a like model, also with a crack in the bottom of the kiln - I'll pass on it. Thanks all! :)

Cracks aren't necessarily bad. All floors crack a little, hairline cracks are normal. But if the cracks are large or go all the way through, you may want to pass on it. However if the rest of the kiln is fabulous, you can always put a piece of sheet metal under the floor to support it.

Thank you for the additional info Neil.  What's also making me a bit apprehensive about the kiln listed on CL is that they aren't even including any pictures in the ad and indicate they have never fired the kiln: the floor of the kiln was cracked when they bought it and the previous owner had tried to repair it, yet had done so incorrectly.  Yes, I can and will proceed to ask for pictures before making  a final decision. Thanks again! :)

Archived