Generally the answer would be no.

Alumina oxide is difficult at best to evenly  disperse and keep as such in your recipe. Sourcing alumina oxide from clay and feldspars is the preferred way. Rarely if ever will the use of alumina oxide work in a repeatable fashion. Alumina  Hydrate however is used on occasion as a source and will disperse better. Hydrates of alumina contain varying amounts of water so figuring out the concentration required as it relates to the product you have is something to be aware of.

Not to hijack this thread, but I thought I'd just ask this here, instead of making a whole new topic, for a relatively simple question.

Can I add Alumina Hydrate to a simple, commercially made kiln wash?  I've got quite a bit of old, dried wash, in my classroom that I'd like to use up, instead of just tossing.  I'm fairly certain that it is all just kaolin, with nothing else. 

Yes you could-the only down side to commecial wash is usually they add a binder (sticks to shelves) and that is bad news. I have always just tossed the stuff that folks give me.

Since alumina is costly I would test a small amont 1st

Archived